News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

State, Local & Veteran Organizational Issue Medals

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow- it does look cruder, but the clasp and the ribbon are a-ok IMHO! It must be a private purchase medal- but why? Is it bronze?

Hello Ulsterman,

Yes it is a bronze material, although of a very much lighter tone than the original issue. The planchet is a bit thinner as well.

I have seen this particular strike referred to as an 'un-numbered unofficial' strike. I don't see why it would have been necessary given that there are certainly a large amount of original numbered examples in the market.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

The regulation authorizes the use of army service medals?

as is allowed to use the Victory Medal and Campaign, along with the medals of service that were offered by states and municipalities, as they are not official?

Lambert

Current regulations do not allow the wear of state and local medals when in federal service. In 1918, the regulations were not as strict because there were so few medals to wear. However, most state and local medals were awarded and worn after the war, when the veterans were home. When you see photographs of WWI soldiers wearing their state and local medals, it was probably for a "welcome home" event where they received the medals or a formal portrait.

To all,

This ribbon bar was recently on an online auction site.

The vic with stars is readily identifiable, as is the St. Mihiel medal in the middle, but the ribbon on the end is a mystery.

Do any of our US collectors have ideas as to the identity of the third ribbon?

Regards,

Rob

• 10 months later...

Cool. Has Merwyn seen this? I always wondered if some British towns also issued medals. In the USA one sees town, county, state and organization medals. By the way, many current veterans still wear local medals and state National Guards wear all three, depending on the state. In Maine for example, I have seen vets wearing ribbons from the Feds, state and the Legion, all on one ribbon rack.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...

A good time to re-energize this thread...

Here is my example of the New Hampshire Award for Service in WWI ... pendant only; this one was missing it's red/white/blue ribbon and bronze clasp. I think this is one of the most beautiful of the state/local WWI medals...

• 1 year later...

I've been away for sometime and see this area never really took off, though I understand its more of a niche for those interested in state or local issues.  I do hope to be able to add some interesting things here and maybe renew some interest in days/weeks to come.

Tim

Resolution is poor as original is 23 Mb

2000.JPG

20.JPG

Edited by Tim B
    re-inserting missing pic

Sorry to see that, it was working originally at a decent resolution.  Perhaps someone thought it was too big and removed it??

I'll try to reload it at a bit smaller and see what happens.  Thanks for the heads up.

Tim

So, looking at the large group photo above, I will only be working with the bottom two rows that apply to WW1.  The rows are split into Federal and National Guard service and as time permits, I will add mine alphabetically, no real reason why, just easy to remember.

Feel free to add others at your leisure. :cheers:

Tim

First up for me:

Colorado Active Service Medal

Established April 14th 1931 and confirmed into the Colorado National Guard on November 16th of the same year.  It was awarded only in cases where no other Federal or State campaign medal was previously awarded.

As Colorado did not authorize a specific campaign medal for WW1 service, this was the only medal that recognized National Guardsmen that served in active service during that war.  This period of service had to exceed seven days duration unless casualties were sustained and then a lessor time period was sufficient credit for the award.

Supposedly, there was a bronze clasp worn to denote participation in the specific campaign.  For WW1, it would be for Active duty, not in Federal Service, Apr 6, 1917 – Jun 10, 1919 inclusive.  The clasp would read simply “1917 – 1918”.

Note: I personally have never seen a clasp for WW1 service as mentioned above, only an example for Vietnam Service attached to the service ribbon bar.  If anyone has one, please post it somewhere in this thread as I would really like to see an example.

The obverse is pretty typical of Colorado National Guard Service Medals with the state's coat of arms surmounted by an eagle with spread wings and shield.

The medal was discontinued in September, 1963 and only the ribbon bar with appropriate clasp was awarded thereafter.

55c67891cddb3_Colorado_Active_Service_Me

1.JPG

Most of these state issued medals came in a box or envelope of issue.  Not 100% sure in Colorado's case but I tend to think envelope for some reason.

Here's the medal on the original Whitehead & Hoag card:

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by Tim B