• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I have recently found some US WW1 state medals in a saturday-morning jumble sale.

They were sold as is, without their ribbon. 

Does anyone know someone or a retailer who is likely to sell original or replacement ribbons?

Regards,

Jean-Sam.   

Jean-Sam,

Probably Ebay is the best choice.  Sometimes you find vintage replacement ribbon from old rolls that sellers have found and in some cases, these rolls might be from the 1970's when restrikes were still being produced.

2 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Jean-Sam,

Probably Ebay is the best choice.  Sometimes you find vintage replacement ribbon from old rolls that sellers have found and in some cases, these rolls might be from the 1970's when restrikes were still being produced.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clue.

In the mean-time, I have found a US ribbon retailer while browsing on the net.

The following link could therefore be handy in this matter : http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/index.html

All the best,

Jean-Sam.

3 hours ago, lambert said:

Hi Jean

Perhaps the OMSA has in its bank of ribbons .

Try them too

all the best

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

Nice to "see you" on this US WWI State service medals topic.

You are right; OMSA should have an appropriate bank of ribbons. It's worth a try.

All the best,

Jean-Sam.

• 3 years later...

This thread has gone very quiet, I hope that we can jump start some interest as I really enjoy collecting the WW1 US town and county medals in particular due to the (relatively) high number of them out there and the huge diversity in the medals, ribbons and brooches. I will put up some of my favourites over the next few weeks but first a question related to Tim B's excellent postings a while back, particularly about the boxes that the medals arrived in.

I have a Seneca Co, Ohio medal made by the Robbins Company, MA. Louis Small estimates 1779 of these given to veterans but rather than coming in a small, cardboard box, mine is in a solid jewellery box, also named inside as having come from the Robbins Co. This seems a little too extravagant (and expensive?) to have given to every soldier, so does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rob

198 box.JPG

198 obverse.JPG

198 reverse.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 25/01/2016 at 13:51, sumserbrown said:

Hi all,

I am new to the forum but have been collecting these WWI US state, county and town victory medals for a number of years.

In his book, Louis Small lists the following known State victory medals, with an estimate of the numbers issued:

New York 427,871

Missouri 140,247

New Jersey 130,024

North Carolina 105,436

Maryland 64,424 (actual number)

Connecticut 56,881

Oregon 32,276

New Hampshire 18,255

District of Columbia 18,016

Delaware 9,187

Wyoming 8,009

I have them all if anyone needs photos - it took me some time and a bit of money to get Delaware and Wyoming.

best wishes

Rob

This is the Delaware WWI state victory/service medal #8197 issued to HT Cummings. I have had this in my collection around 10 years and never knew anything about it, but I was recently pointed to a thread about the WW1 Delaware medal on USmilitariaforum.com and within an hour of me posting this morning I had a couple of helpful people post newspaper cuttings and his WW2 draft registration card and suddenly I know a great deal about him. Turns out he was a Captain in the Ordnance Dept. B. 27-Nov-1884 Meadville PA, lived a long time in New Castle, DE and ended up in Baltimore MD before dying 10-Feb-1945

DE 351 obverse.JPG

DE 351 reverse.JPG