News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

british napoleonic spontoon

terry1956

Hi, I picked up this item sometime back at auction, It was an internet buy ( not ebay) and on first seeing the item it did not look right to me. the staff is new, which was not stated on the auction site, but leaving that out for the time being what do you chaps think of the metal work. the head is made up of 4 parts. the blade, the crossarms and the staff fittings and a metal washer. on taking the head apart i could nto see any sign of dirt, wear or useage. one of the arms is stamped with the number 3. there are no other marks. the round metal washer has a square stamped hole and is split from this. The blade is bright with just a little pitting as can be seen from the pictures.I don,t know it just feels wrong to me, or am i just being put off by the staff being plastic varnished and looking like a bush handle. look at the pictures what do you think. michael

spontoon004.jpg

spontoon002.jpg

spontoon001.jpg

Michael - welcome to GMIC. I regret that I tend to agree with you - the appearance is wrong for something that is 200 years old. Unfortunately, a lot of people are buying old pieces and then re-mounting them. I suppose one could live with a replaced shaft - but, at the very least it should have been pointed out to you.

The other thing of concern is the threaded tang. These - at that time, were often bolted through both side pieces of the metal to hold firmly. 200 years ago the screw would have had a handcut thread - however, yours look like a machine cut. I would certainly have words with the vendor. Out of interest, roughly, what did you pay ?

hi Mervyn. At the moment the item is back at the auctioners, I like you just don,t like the look of the think, as to payment i paid 240 pounds. I will not name the action house but its a well known arms and armour name here in the UK. there was no picture and it was marked as a 17th cen NCO,s spontoon with regt markings. will apart from not being anything like a 17th cen item the only marking on the thing is the stamped letter 3, at best this is a rack number. All very sad realy, mine you repros are all over the place here in the UK, but I did hope for more from this place, michael

• 2 years later...

Hello Nathan - welcome to GMIC. Re-reading Terry's post it sounded as if he had returned it to the auction house.

Should he not see your post to make a reply, let me know and I will ask the Chairman if there is a telephone no.

on his application. Mervyn

Michael

It looks essentially identical to the one I owned for years, which I paid perhaps L50 for, as it was a modern reproduction and sold as such. Can't swear to the number stamp but I wouldn't be surprised if mine had had one as well.

A shame that the auction house was either quite careless - no expert should have passed this as authentic - or less than honest! :angry: Sorry you were disappointed!

Peter