News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wehrmacht research question

Though I am very familiar with researching Soviet soldiers and their awards, I am completely clueless about researching their Wehrmacht enemies. So to those far more knowledgeable I ask this (perhaps basic) question: If I have the unit and rank of a Wehrmacht officer and the date on which he was KIA, would it be possible to find his name and other information about him?

Thanks,

Alex

'Needle and haystack' sprint to mind I'm afraid. There are organisations such as WASt that provide details on KIA/MIA German soldiers (although usually only to next of kin) but they would need the name and probably date of birth. Volksbund provide an online database for those KIA/MIA but again, you need at least a surname to obtain details of where & when he was born & killed. Maybe there is something in one of the archives in Germany & USA for his unit that can provide some sort of clue but that could be very time consuming and could have no end result for your efforts.

I have been researching 6 Wehmacht soldiers from WWII for the last 6 months. I have found the Bundesarchiv extremely helpful. WASt like the otherposter stated usually deals with families, but with the last name and a writtenauthorization from the family I have found them extremely helpful. Wish I couldhelp more. The Bundesarchiv should have a list of the unit and its officers itmay then only a slight possibility through the process of elimination you couldget several names and move on from there.

Donald (Don) Mounts

www.getglobalresearch.com

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen! I asked because a fellow forum member and Soviet collector recently researched a Soviet award, and the citation mentioned the unit and ranks of several Wehrmacht officers the recipient killed in an ambush. Such detail is uncommon (usually citations read something like "Comrade X killed Y Hitlerites"), so I thought it might be possible to complete the story from a German perspective. Unfortunately this project looks too complicated, time-consuming, and potentially fruitless for me to pursue. Perhaps a project for another day.

Thanks again, :cheers:

Alex