News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

China Republic - Catastrophe Relief Merit Order

drclaw

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The design really rings the bell!

This badge usually (if we could apply term “usually” to this specimen, which was bought and sold with the same description couple of times ;)) described as “1st Class medal for Yuguan Relief issued in 1925 (?!) by the 10th troops brigadier”. It looks like this badge was issued by the 10th troops brigadier, Liu Yife Lui who was a secondary military officer and belonged to the force of warlord Zhang Zuolin in Manchuria.

It is obvious that Yuguan badge is close relative of Shanxi Disaster Relief badge. Same disaster – different province – different warlord – slightly different design of the badge. By the way – what we’ve got here is another perfect example for this gallery

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/53158-warlord-period-decorations-some-trivial-observations-of-their-confusing-similarity/

We could really use a full translation of the reverse inscription :)

Because I don’t think that this badge was attributed absolutely correctly.

And if it comes to that – obverse central tablet translation wanted too ;)

Regards,

Nick

And another one!

This one also has a white enameled rays, but this time we have reverse scan and reverse is numbered # 252.

1st class medal with strangelooking (for republican decorations;)) central part (later replacement???)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many manufacturers were ...

Variant with "drawing" stars.

4th class.

Courtesy of Richard LaTondre, Harry Mohler Collection, Hoover Institution, Stanford University

Edited by JapanX

Very interesting Nick! The number of variations make it a challenge to distinguish between real and fake.

If I was presented with that Third Class example in post #37, I'd have initially dismissed it as a reproduction. But now I'm not so sure ...

If I was presented with that Third Class example in post #37, I'd have initially dismissed it as a reproduction. But now I'm not so sure ...

I think #35 and #37 were made by the same manufacturer.

And these pieces are for real ;)

And now something completely different.

Same motives - different badge.

This one was probably issued in 1928 by Shandong Famine Relief Committee.

Here you see the members of this Committee.

Famine of 1928-1930 in Northern China (Shandong located on the eastern edge of North China plain) of the took away about 3 million lifes.

And now something completely different.

Same motifs - different badge.

This one was probably issued in 1928 by Shandong Famine Relief Committee.

Here you see the members of this Committee.

Famine of 1928-1930 in Northern China (Shandong located on the eastern edge of North China plain) took away about 3 million lifes.

Edited by JapanX

• 2 years later...