News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Weller Vase ID help please

Hi - Ed. Thankyou for re-posting, it will take a little time for us to get everything running smoothly.

I will give the members of the panel a chance to make comments now - and then once we have answered we will welcome members comments. Mervyn

Hi Ed,

I'd say your piece was one of the later pieces of Weller due to the general style and the clear stamped company logo which is in a half circle style, on the bottom. That would place this (in my opinion) in the first half of the 20th century.

Weller pottery was made in Ohio from 1872 to 1946 with pieces marked, Louwelsa Weller, and numbered on the bottom. Earlier pieces were sometimes hand inscribed with this information.

A very nice example of later Weller pottery. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I look forward to hearing from other members regarding their opinions on this piece.

Regards

Brian

Hi Ed,

I'd say your piece was one of the later pieces of Weller due to the general style and the clear stamped company logo which is in a half circle style, on the bottom. That would place this (in my opinion) in the first half of the 20th century.

Weller pottery was made in Ohio from 1872 to 1946 with pieces marked, Louwelsa Weller, and numbered on the bottom. Earlier pieces were sometimes hand inscribed with this information.

A very nice example of later Weller pottery. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I look forward to hearing from other members regarding their opinions on this piece.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate the information.

Ed

Thankyou Brian - any idea of a local value ? Ed - are you happy with this information ?

This thread is now open to the Forum members to post comments or, add pictures. PANEL MEMBERS PLEASE WATCH FOR THE 'ALERT' UNDER TOPIC TITLE.

------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

Thankyou Brian - any idea of a local value ? Ed - are you happy with this information ?

This thread is now open to the Forum members to post comments or, add pictures. PANEL MEMBERS PLEASE WATCH FOR THE 'ALERT' UNDER TOPIC TITLE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't even begin to estimate the value. I no longer haunt antiques shops or auctions, so any value would be far from accurate.

Regards

Brian

Mervyn,

I am very pleased - First that Brian made time to give me some useful info and second that I received excellent guidance on how to post correctly so I could get that info. Looking forward to receiving more comments as the thread is opened up to others.

Thanks again

Ed

Lovely piece! I am not an expert on these things. I know I've seen a Weller piece in the V&A (I used to volunteer in their ceramics department), a jardiniere, of similar dark glaze lustre and finish. That piece is dated to the very early C20th, as Brian suggests this might well be. After checking up on it in their catalogue, it is labelled 'Aurelian ware', a variation of Louwelsa in which the background colour was applied by hand with a brush rather than with a sprayer/atomizer. My guess is this would render it more valuable than the mass-produced stuff.

Is the bird painted or 'scratched' (i.e. sgraffito'd) on? Can't really tell from the image. Seems the 'scratched' items are rarer too, as it was a pretty labour-intensive process and Weller soon switched over to embossing which replicated the effect at lower cost.

That last bit of info is from this quick History of Weller Pottery here. Something else of interest that it points out is that the name 'Louwelsa' is derived from a combination of Weller's name with that of his new-born daughter, Louise.

Had a quick look on auction sites (not eBay) and these sorts of pieces seem to be going for at least 300 USD.

Thanks for sharing.

Helen

Edited by helen

Lovely piece! I am not an expert on these things. I know I've seen a Weller piece in the V&A (I used to volunteer in their ceramics department), a jardiniere, of similar dark glaze lustre and finish. That piece is dated to the very early C20th, as Brian suggests this might well be. After checking up on it in their catalogue, it is labelled 'Aurelian ware', a variation of Louwelsa in which the background colour was applied by hand with a brush rather than with a sprayer/atomizer. My guess is this would render it more valuable than the mass-produced stuff.

Is the bird painted or 'scratched' (i.e. sgraffito'd) on? Can't really tell from the image. Seems the 'scratched' items are rarer too, as it was a pretty labour-intensive process and Weller soon switched over to embossing which replicated the effect at lower cost.

That last bit of info is from this quick History of Weller Pottery here. Something else of interest that it points out is that the name 'Louwelsa' is derived from a combination of Weller's name with that of his new-born daughter, Louise.

Had a quick look on auction sites (not eBay) and these sorts of pieces seem to be going for at least 300 USD.

Thanks for sharing.

Helen

Helen,

Thanks for sharing. I felt the bird and is does feel like it is scratched on and then painted over, but, not being an expert, I can't really tell for sure.

Thanks again,

Ed