News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

Congrats Valter,

Correct answer - Samantha Smith. Thanks for posting the wiki link as background.

The score is now as follows:

SCORE

1 point - Hauptmann (Dan)

1 point - Harvey

1 point - JimZ

1 point - Valter

Valter, will you do us the honour of posting question number 5.

Jim :cheers:

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an honor for me!

Let's stay with "childish" themes:

Who was the famous "malchik-komandir" who joined Red army in October revolution at age of 14, and commanded a regiment at age of 16? There's a book written about him, and a song... and later he became a famous writer of stories for children.

Hi Valter,

We will await your confirmation before we move on. I learnt something new here too.

Does anyone know what awards he may have received?

As I'm still on duty till early this evening and am probably going to hit the bed right after, and may not be able to get time to come up with anything till late tomorrow at the earliest, I'd like to pass the honor of the next question to Windu since he did get part of one correct. biggrin.gifbeer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

As I'm still on duty till early this evening and am probably going to hit the bed right after, and may not be able to get time to come up with anything till late tomorrow at the earliest, I'd like to pass the honor of the next question to Windu since he did get part of one correct. biggrin.gifbeer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Nice gesture, Dan!

I'd like to add just two pictures of young Gaydar from the russian book Malchishka-komandir (Detskaja literatura, Moscow, 1987) - these two I didn't find on the web, but many others are. I hope this is not too off-topic.

regards, Valter

Congrats Dan,

The score is now as follows:

SCORE

2 points - Hauptmann (Dan)

1 point - Harvey

1 point - JimZ

1 point - Valter

Windu, are you up to question number 6?

Regards,

Not quite sure he quite fits in with the dates but I'll give it a try any way ... is it Semyon Timoshenko born in 1895?

Something about the eyes....but i could find not pics of him as a young soldier so no way of me knowing for certain if this answer is correct....

Looks like Stanislav Gilyarovich Poplavsky - he was Rokossovsky's deputy when Rokossovsky was Marshal of Poland.

Poplavsky was born on 22 April 1902.

Edited by Harvey