News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just bought this rather unusual ribbonbar :rolleyes:

At first it looks like any other private/Nco/officer bar with EKII - HEK - Hungarian WW 1 Med - Bulgarian Bravery Med - and ....

Yes Official medal from Olympics in Sweden 1912 - and I think :unsure: a 1897 medal at the end

The 1897 seems a little bit odd to put after three foreign medals but stranger things have happen before .

I wonder if there is a list of all Germans who participated in 1912 Olympics ?

If that last one is a 1897 he must have been ? 20 then ?? which means around 35 years old 1912 so probably competing in Shooting or

Horseriding etc and then into WW 1 (on eastern front) and survived :D

Hmm Interesting

Christer

Hi Christer,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the swedish Olympics medal was awarded for 'supporting' functions (helping with the arrangements etc.) and not for actually competing in the games?

But a great bar anyway :)

/Michael

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the swedish Olympics medal was awarded for 'supporting' functions (helping with the arrangements etc.) and not for actually competing in the games?

/Michael

That is correct. It is not, as initially thought, the Gold, Silver or Bronze medals for placing in a competition in the Olympics, but are rather for helping with the Olympics. I did some research on the 1912 Olympic medal when I found a German medal bar on e-Bray that had the award. I did not win the medal bar. :violent:

Among information on the medal itself, I found a list of "helpers" and listed by country. They were the likely recipients of this special medal. I will try to find it...if it isn't too torn up after not winning the medal bar. I would have been consoled if someone from this forum won it, but no one here confessed that they did.

Thanks in advance Claudius :cheers:

I saw the medal bar on Ebay also but it wasn´t me who won it , but it went to another Sweden collector , I don´t know him but his a member at this forum :whistle:

Have a nice summer all !

Christer

Thanks in advance Claudius :cheers:

I saw the medal bar on Ebay also but it wasn´t me who won it , but it went to another Sweden collector , I don´t know him but his a member at this forum :whistle:

Have a nice summer all !

Christer

Hallo Christer;

I am not angry at the person who won it..Honestly. I just wanted to own it to do more research on WHO the medal bar belonged to. If I didn't win it, I was hoping that the winner of the medal bar would post his photos on GMIC and discuss his observations.

It was interesting that it also had the Sweden Vasa Order, however the points were badly banged up. I lowered my bid amount considering the damaged Vasa. However the Romanian Order looked great and also adds to the mystery.

Back to your ribbon bar: Is it possible the yellow ribbon on the end is NOT the 1897 Centennial Medal? There may be other medals that could have that ribbon. As you mentioned, the German medal after the foreign medal is a bit odd.

Consider also, that if he earned the Centennial medal and was around to earn the Hindenburg Cross he was old when this ribbon bar was constructed for him and likely no longer in the service. Often medal bars are constructed for active and retired gents to wear on special occasions. Ribbon bars were made so that they can be worn on their field tunics during active wear. As I said, he would be retired by then.

I am also thinking that the last one is something other than Centennial medal , there is some foreign medals with yellow ribbon

Siam ,Romania or maybe its some sort of inoffcial award ?

Here is a thread on a Swedish forum where the bar is discussed http://www.samlarforum.nu/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16764 there you can see who won it .... but no one could offer any help on the Swedish forum .

Christer

Edited by christerd

I am also thinking that the last one is something other than Centennial medal , there is some foreign medals with yellow ribbon

Siam ,Romania or maybe its some sort of inoffcial award ?

Here is a thread on a Swedish forum where the bar is discussed http://www.samlarforum.nu/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16764 there you can see who won it .... but no one could offer any help on the Swedish forum .

Christer

Ah, good. PM sent. Might need the help from someone who knows WORLD-WIDE ribbons to see any other possible matches.

Thank you for the link. I wish I could read Swedish!

Christer

Ah, I'm sorry, seems there have been some misunderstanding. I did not get it neither, lost it by a couple of Euro. Just posted it on the Swedish forum as it was an extremely interesting bar. I'm sorry for any confusion I've caused.

Best

Christian

Edited by RaZpuTiN

Ah, I'm sorry, seems there have been some misunderstanding. I did not get it neither, lost it by a couple of Euro. Just posted it on the Swedish forum as it was an extremely interesting bar. I'm sorry for any confusion I've caused.

Best

Christian

That is not a problem Christian. I know you will keep looking for the next bar with a 1912 Olympic medal on it. :cheers:

------

Does anyone have a 1912 Olympic medal to a known recipient? Either separate or on a medal bar (doesn't have to be a German medal bar).

Edited by Claudius