News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies

List of Nederlandsch-Indie Governor General since 1610-1942

The Dutch colonization in are divided into 2 era: VOC and Dutch East Indies, the names are linked to Wikipedia for more info..

VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie), or Dutch East Indie Company

Dutch East Indies

Jan Willem Janssens

For what it's worth, I think the star obscured by his cordon of the Military Willem Order is the star of a Grand Officer of the French Legion d'Honneur.

He was awarded:

* Commander of the Order of the Union, 25 November 1807

* Grand Cross of the Order of the Union, 3 February 1808

* Grand Officer of the Legion of Honour, 16 May 1811

* Grand Cross of the Order of the Reunion, 22 February 1812

* Grand Cross of the Military William Order (KB No.16, 8 July 1815)

* Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion.

He is of interest to us, in South Africa, because he was our Governor, too, 1803-1806.

Edited by Archer

Yes, some of our history are linked.. :cheers:

Some of the gov-general not only had duties in Indonesia, the other example are Daendels (just after Janssens replacing him as gov-general, he became an officer in French Grand Army) and

Sir Thomas Stamford Raffless (then he moved to Tumasik, or now is Singapore)..

Regards,

Windu

Hi - Windu - just noticed your post - a good one with interest. Without doing any research, I am wondering how you list Sir Stamford Raffles as a Dutch Governor. He was the Governor of Penang under the British East India Company - with bad malaria he moved the colony to the new site of Singapore. He was the founder of the World famous London Zoo - sending the foundation collection to London from Malaya and the East Indies.

Hi Mervyn, i'm not listed Raffles as a Dutch governor-general (see the first post), he listed on ''under British rule''.. :)

After Tuntang Capitulation in 1811, Indonesia was under British rule.. :)

Raffles sent to South East Asia under the command of Earl Minto..

His first base was in Bengkulu (Bencoolen), then he moved to Bogor/Buitenzorg on Java island (when he lived on Java he wrote ''The History of Java'', he also encourage the excavation of Borobudur, he was interested in Javanese culture)

In early 1816 John Fendall replaced him, then Raffles was ordered to Penang..

Few months under J. Fendall, Indonesia returned back on Dutch governor-general van der Capellen..

I hope my explanation can make it clear.. :)

Windu

Thankyou, Windu. His earlier biography helps to keep the picture straight. He was an employee of the British East India Company.

Since I feel like 'stirring things' I should point out to Willem that Gov. Janssens was not 'our' Governor - rather he was his ! We defeated the Dutch in 1805 in Capetown. Having foolishly returned it on Napoleon's promises of peace.

Regarding post #2:

Willem Rooseboom is wearing the Danish Order of the Dannebrog on his chest (below the Red Eagle).

He became Commander 2. class of Dannebrog on the 12. February 1896.

He became Grand Cross of Dannebrog on the 3. November 1900.

I don't know if he skipped the Commander 1. class step or if he was awarded that one between 1896 and 1900.

Apparently the photo is from approx. 1896-97.

/Michael

Mervyn, Janssens also suffered an embarrassing thing here, he defeated by the British and he must ratificate Tuntang Capitulation to give Indonesia to the British.

He only served 6 months here, just to keep the Dutch dan France flag rising for a short time..(at that time Dutch is under France rule)

Michael, thank you for the information, maybe Rooseboom had a special relationship with Denmark so he awarded by the Order of Danneborg?

HM De Kock

Wearing:

???

??? (Java War Medal??)

Willem Military Order (grand cross)

Order of The Lion (grand cross)

The first medal is the Hasselt Cross (1830-1831), on the blue and yellow ribbon for regular troops.

Next is indeed the Java Medal, though this medal was presented in bronze many officers had their's gilted

Some photos and painting of the Governor-General

W Rooseboom..

wearing:

Order of Oranje Nassau, Order of Red Eagle, Netherlands Order of the Crown, Willem Military Order, ???, and breast badge of ???

He is not wearing the Military Order of William, but the Officer's Cross for Loyal Service (last in the row).

Janssens also suffered an embarrassing thing here, he defeated by the British and he must ratificate Tuntang Capitulation to give Indonesia to the British. He only served 6 months here, just to keep the Dutch dan France flag rising for a short time..(at that time Dutch is under France rule)

Indeed, Janssens was unlucky. He had to surrender the Cape of Good Hope to British forces in 1806, and then Java to British forces a few years later. The story goes that when he returned to Europe, Napoleon told him that he didn't expect his generals to keep surrendering!

Thanks for the colour portrait of Janssens - there are engravings of it in various books but this is the first colour version that I've seen. IIRC, Janssens was involved in the creation of the Militaire Willemsorde and the Order of the Netherlands Lion in 1815, and was the first chancellor of the orders.

Odulf, thanks for identify.. :)

so what's the first medal on his medal bar? the service cross is the 2nd in row i think..

The first was well diagnosed, it's the Order of the Dutch Lion, Knight's grade, a common decoration in the 19th century for officers above the rank of colonel.