News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Custom Shooting Badge

Chuck In Oregon

I've been away from the forum for a bit. Now I can resume the things that I enjoy here. I'll start by sharing this custom (I hesitate to say one-off, who knows?) shooting badge that I received last month. It has no known provenance, unfortunately, other than that it came from the family in Tbilisi. I can't even make out the stylized initials on the reverse. My guess is ФМ or МФ (FM or MF) but I'm not sure.

The shape of the badge is a target with a black bull's-eye and colored outer rings. There are no proof or maker's marks, typical of small Tbilisi shops I think. The crown over N II appears to be solid gold and the and the rest of the metal seems to be silver except for the link. The enamel, in three colors, is of fair-to-poor quality with an uneven surface overall that takes away from the overall appearance of the badge.

Still, I like the old shooting badges and this one is likely to stay in my collection.

Chuck

WOW! What an outstanding photo. At first I didn't even recognize it as a shooting award because it's so darn big. When I saw the zoom image I couldn't believe it. I haven't seen anything like that before. His tunic has more awards than my whole collection. I hesitate to ask if you would sell it for fear of offending you, but if you would ever consider trading (or selling) that photo I would sure be interested. Can you identify all the other hardware? I am especially curious about that award around his neck.

Thanks for sharing that photo. It is a treat to look at it. Would you mind if I saved a copy for myself?

Chuck

Would it have to symbolise a target? it seems similar to the cockade system used by the Germans. And tell a british pilot that the RAF roundels are targets ;-))

Maybe something other than shooting?

Yes, it is possible that it is something other than a locally commissioned shooting award. However, that is what I believe it to be.

As far as the RAF roundels, good point. But what Luftwaffe pilot would think that they weren't?

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Hi,

this might be a hell of a long shot, but since Chris said that it's not necessarily a shooting badge, that got me wondering if it could it have something to do with the Chevalier Guards? That MF cypher would for fit the dowager empress Maria Feodorovna, who was their honorary colonel-in-chief, and so would the colors red and white. But then again, there's that black center..

Here's a jeton commemorating MF's 25 years as the regiments colonel-in-chief, from 1906 by Faberge. It's exactly like their "official badge". Can't remember where this photo is from, sorry.

[attachmentid=23641]

Pete

That's a knock-out jeton, Pete. Even the box is a great collectible.

The color in my badge is a pretty true orange rather than a red. However, I have to allow that the MF might be Maria Feodorovna. (Manny Fernandez? Nah, probably not.) With its gold and silver but lacking proof or maker marks, I have to wonder whether any regimental badges were so unsigned.

This is starting to get a lot more interesting than I thought it was!

Chuck