News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Etat de Services

artofwar

Hi all,

Can anyone explain the purpose of the 1, 2 3 or 4 page Etat de Services you see around which detail a French soldier or Officers military career , wounds and decorations ?

Who prepares this document, where and why ?

thanks all

Bob

Hi all,

Can anyone explain the purpose of the 1, 2 3 or 4 page Etat de Services you see around which detail a French soldier or Officers military career , wounds and decorations ?

Who prepares this document, where and why ?

thanks all

Bob

Hello Bob

A regulation french "Etat de services" booklet is maintained by HQ of the unit or Service the personnel belongs to. This can be a Regiment, or a ship or an air-base or squadron depending which Service he/she belongs to. This holds for NCOs & rankers.

Page 1 is name, parents, home adress, current employment or profession, description of physical aspect.

Page 2 gives basic military information : where and when drafted/called up/volunteered.

Pages 3/4/etc describe military carreer, in detail. This is maintained by successive units as the man's carreer goes.

Last page mentions awards and decorations

Is that the information you wanted ?

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hello:

to elaborate somewhat on the information Veteran gave:

At the conclusion of my six years enlistment with the French Foreign Legion in early 1957 I was provided with my "Livret Individuel" which corresponds very close with veteran's detailed description of the "Etat de Services". It includes my time spent at the various units, the transit thereto, special training etc. All entries are in a very legible handwriting and to me is a very detailed record of my service.

Bernhard H. Holst

ex sergent , 1er RE and brigadier-chef 1er REC

Hello:

to elaborate somewhat on the information Veteran gave:

At the conclusion of my six years enlistment with the French Foreign Legion in early 1957 I was provided with my "Livret Individuel" which corresponds very close with veteran's detailed description of the "Etat de Services". It includes my time spent at the various units, the transit thereto, special training etc. All entries are in a very legible handwriting and to me is a very detailed record of my service.

Bernhard H. Holst

ex sergent , 1er RE and brigadier-chef 1er REC

Thanks a lot - just the info I needed

Bob