News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Bulgarian trench assault groups

Theodor

Hi guys,

There was a talk about this in another thread, so I decided to show here the pictures that I have on this subject - WW1 Bulgarian trench assault groups. The Southern Balkan front was a heavy trench war, with lots of artillery and infantry attacks. There were also assault groups, making sudden attacks on the opposite trenches. The Bulgarian tactic was not only destroying a part of the enemy's trenches and thus preparing path for possible attack, but also capturing alive enemy soldiers, they were considered very good source for information.

These roups were armed with the standart army Mannlicher rifles with ordinary bayonets, also knives, pistols, German stick grenades, various types of explosive matherials, German gas masks, M16 steel helmets.

The groups consisted of ordinary frontline soldiers and officers, but it seems at least the officers were going though some kind of short education for their role, in frontline conditions - here is a picture of young officer to his mother, on the back written: "Dear Mother, Here, you can see the picture of what our craft is at the positions. This photograph is taken in the Assault course at the Division." /Dated January 22th 1918/. I just see I can put larger files! If this is not an automatic change - thanks a lot!!! So, here is a much better seen picture:

Edited by Theodor

Sometimes the missions were successfull. An assault group has captured two Brits. Fortunately this one is well documented through the text written on the picture.

The men are from the 84th Infantry Regiment - one of the later formed regiments, with older reserve offciers, called back to service. That small assult group from that regiment was lead by the quite older officer on hte picture, Poruchyk /Lt./ Boris Abadjiev. The successfull attack was made in September 1917, 3 hours after Midnight. On the back side it is also said, that the whole attack was made by 30 men, and those Englishmen were captured by him together with 9 of his men. He was not a show-off, he signed himself only as "Yours, Boris, grandson of the Bismarck, cavalier of the Bravery order, the hunter of Englishmen" :cheers:

Ready to attack. Helmets, stick grenades, rifles, gas masks. Is this a signal pistol? And what is that brick in the man's hand, explosive?

On the back: "A part of our assault group on November 4th 1917$

Either a flare gun or a Colt Paterson :lol: Could the box be flares?

Great pics Theodor!

Do you find them often in far far away? If you have more please show them.

Photos of German or Brit POWs seem to be hard to find, I only have a few which are all from the western front.

Tony

I have many WW1 pictures, They are easy to find. Unfortunately most follow one and the same pattern - a group of ordinary, unknown soldiers or officers stare at the camera, not even ordinary guns near them :lol: More interesting pictures are hard to find, but little by little have made a collection.

I have no more about the assault groups, but if inteersted generally about the warfare on the Balkan front, I can scan some pictures

• 1 month later...

Ready to attack. Helmets, stick grenades, rifles, gas masks. Is this a signal pistol? And what is that brick in the man's hand, explosive?

On the back: "A part of our assault group on November 4th 1917$

Hallo Theodor, :beer:

I believe the box in his hand is the cartrides for the flare gun, the lid of the box is sitting on the sandbags in front of him.

with regards the trench raiding partes conducted by the Bulgarians, I remember reading this a long time ago........ the British troops found little pieces of paper fastened to stick stuck in the ground in front of the trenches, in crude english was written the following verse on oneside:

"I am Boris the Bulgar The man with the knife,

The pride of Sofia, The taker of life.

Good Gracious how spacious And deep are the cuts

Of Boris the Bulgar, The Knifer, the knut"

" Dear Englishmen, We are singing these words to your pretty tune called Gilbert the Filbert. Will you join us tonite and sing heartily?

On the reverse written in pencil was the following:

" Dear Englishmen,

Why are you so foolish as to continue this war? Rumnia has been beaten and you will soon lose also. Why not put aside your weapons and be friends? We like you and do not want to fight you, but if you will not be friends we will show you what we will do with our bayonets.

Yours truly, Boris the Bulgar.

Kev in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 9 months later...

I am a new member, but I can tell you that the flaregun above is a WWI German Druckknopf. It is cal. 26.5mm. They were manufactured by at least 7 different companies, and were even copied by the Chinese. They are also found in a variety of barrel lenths.

I collect flareguns, and am always looking for odd and unusual variations.

• 12 years later...
    10 hours ago, graham said:

Bulgarian Stormtroopers

kylarsroleplay.fandom.com/wiki/World_War_1_(Bulgaria)

1.thumb.jpg.51546fbc739c36fb4be4599270550a1b.jpg

Hello , the lieutenant on the right side of the photo carries what appears to be a disc granate ? 

Just now, Bayern said:

Hello , the lieutenant on the right side of the photo carries what appears to be a disc granate ? 

The officer on the center wears a German M1907 10 Tunic