News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Something missing

gibbo

I`m looking at a group of 6 Indian medals consisting of (1) Paschimi Star.(2) Sangram medal. (3)Op Vijay medal. (4) 50th Anniversary . (5) 25th Anniversary. (6) 9 Year Long Service. From the dating of the medals it seems to me this chap served for over 20 years, should there not be a 20 Year service medal ?....also, should the Op Vijay medal be named?...

I`m looking at a group of 6 Indian medals consisting of (1) Paschimi Star.(2) Sangram medal. (3)Op Vijay medal. (4) 50th Anniversary . (5) 25th Anniversary. (6) 9 Year Long Service. From the dating of the medals it seems to me this chap served for over 20 years, should there not be a 20 Year service medal ?....also, should the Op Vijay medal be named?...

I would say that the probability is that he should have had a 20 year. Perhaps he never got aroung to having it mounted. If the mount is complete then I'd say that was all he bothered with, for whatever reason. The Op Vijay was to be named on the edge, however, I've not had any that were engraved so it seems to me that over the years the Indian Government has gotten a bit hit and miss in following through with the regulations and has issued them unnamed.

In case you are thinking about remounting the group with the 20 year L.S.G.C. medal I would not recommend it as the group you have is original. That's just my opinion and I know you didn't ask, but I threw it in for the same price anyway. ;)

Regards

Brian

Many thanks, that confirms the little research i`ve done; as soon as the group has been mounted i`ll post a picture. I`m of the same opinion that a 20 year service medal should not be added. I wonder how other members feel about adding medals to "complete" a group?

Many thanks, that confirms the little research i`ve done; as soon as the group has been mounted i`ll post a picture. I`m of the same opinion that a 20 year service medal should not be added. I wonder how other members feel about adding medals to "complete" a group?

I will add a nine year if a twenty exists as you know for sure it should be there. These are easy enough to find unnamed and since unnamed medals within groups are common enough I see no problem. However, when it is the 20 year that "seems" to be missing I alway err on the side of caution and never add it.

Please do post the group when you have it mounted, I would be very interested in seeing it.

Regards

Brian