News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three regular ribbon bars - I like them!

Hi guys,

Here is three German bars what I picked up and I would like to hear other opinions about them. They look original period pieces to me - no problem on this side I quess. But what about the combination and what is possible to "read out"?

Regards,

Timo

1. Looks like regular WW1 combatant ribbon bar, who carried out some duties early start of the WW2 as well. Weird that there isn't a long service award. Swords are turned down - something what is possible to see on the bars sometimes....

Ok, my main question - whats the second award? I don't have my Banderkatalog handy here... can it be something from Mecklenburg-Schwerin?

18982357867da1_l.jpg

2. Very nicelly made bar from pre 1934 period. Is the owner of this set Prussian or Bayern? Prussian awards are first but meantime there is as well Bayren LS award in the end? Some kind a clerk, who was low posission enogh to not receive orders or was he/she native Bayerner, who was working for Prussia?

18982363812637_l.jpg

3. This one I picked up mainly because the second ribbon - there is surelly less bars from 30s with the Honor Cross for Next-of-Kin around.

18982361da0782_l.jpg

Dear Timo,

These are very nice additions to your collection. :lol:

I believe the second ribbon on the first ribbon bar represents one of the many Saxe-Ernestine Decorations. Looking closely at it I can see the definitive thin black stripe on the inside edge of the green stripe.

Best wishes

Matt

About the second ribbon bar.It seems to be a Bavarian one, but do you know which is the last ribbon. I can't find it in my Nimmergut's book. Probably a veteran medal.

That's an overlapped Bavarian military long service award ribbon, so the wearer was at least in Bavarian service, if not a Bavarian native.

Odd he's wearing the two Prussians in front of the Bavarians. Maybe not a native... ?!

That's an overlapped Bavarian military long service award ribbon, so the wearer was at least in Bavarian service, if not a Bavarian native.

Odd he's wearing the two Prussians in front of the Bavarians. Maybe not a native... ?!

Sascha,

Regarding both your above points- I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Is there anyway a Prussian could end up with a Bavarian Long Service Cross?

Or is there some possible reason why his Prussian decorations took precedance if he is in fact Bavarian?

Matt

Probably not a native. Quite a few non-Bavarians served in the Bavarian Army.

Among other scenarios, often a Prussian college student at Munich, Erlangen or Würzburg Universities would end up doing his military service in the Bavarian Army. If he was in the right unit in 1897, he would have gotten the Centenary Medal. If he stayed in as a reserve officer, he could have gotten the Jubilee Medal in 1905 and a Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung. But by 1914 he is out of Bavarian service and back in some job in Prussia - junior civil servant or war industry, for example. He is not recalled to active Bavarian service, so no wartime military decorations, but his civilian or civil service position merits the Merit Cross for War Aid.

For the third ribbon bar, I would guess a civil servant around the Rat level - Rechnungsrat, Baurat, Bergrat, etc. A PrVfK/RAO4/LD2 combination is not uncommon for these, and he would be old enough to have lost a son in the war. That's assuming it is a Red Eagle; I am getting more color-blind and sometimes can't tell a Red Eagle from an Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen.

Regards