Josef Rietveld

Engraving on Imtiyaz-Medal-Backside

Dear Turkey-Experts,

I have a silver imtiyaz-medal with name-engraving in the backside-cartouche. Is anybody able to read/translate the name written there?

regards and thanks in advance

Josef

The first name is Bruno, so you likely have a German or Austrian recipient, but I can't make out the last. The first two letters are "Tu-" or "To-", and the last letter is an "r", but the middle combo throws me. The last part is an "h", which also can stand for an "e" or short "a", but the loop on the front may or may not be an "m". That could give you "To__er" or "Tu__er". Maybe Tummer.

If there were another "r" after the "T", it might have been Oberst z.D. Bruno Trommer-Pasha, who served with the German Military Mission in Turkey. Maybe a misspelling?

The first name is Bruno, so you likely have a German or Austrian recipient, but I can't make out the last. The first two letters are "Tu-" or "To-", and the last letter is an "r", but the middle combo throws me. The last part is an "h", which also can stand for an "e" or short "a", but the loop on the front may or may not be an "m". That could give you "To__er" or "Tu__er". Maybe Tummer.

If there were another "r" after the "T", it might have been Oberst z.D. Bruno Trommer-Pasha, who served with the German Military Mission in Turkey. Maybe a misspelling?

Dear Dave thanks, i'am really impressed by your abbilities. When did you learn reading High-Arabic? Bruno Trommer as recipient would be great. The surname bruno is generally not very common. There can't be many brunos who got an imtiyaz.

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld

from the arabic inscription it's stated: Bruno Thumhar on medal..

Maybe Tummer, Thomer, or something that have similar voice..:whistle:

from the arabic inscription it's stated: Bruno Thumhar on medal..

Maybe Tummer, Thomer, or something that have similar voice..:whistle:

That could easily be, i did a quick search on the web and even found Trümmer-Pasha instead of Trommer.

Here is another pic.

josef

Impressing, Dave! :cheers:

And a nice medal - you don't find them often engraved.

I agree with Bruno but the second name could be Tweemahr - there appear to be two dots under the word which would give the "ee" sound - nice piece. Good luck with the search

Regards, Owain

dave, kapten windu and owain,

thanks for your contribution,

so to subsumme the postings the engravings read as:

Bruno "To__er" or "Tu__er"; Thumhar or Tweemahr

So it could easily be Trommer-Pashas medal but we will never know for sure?

regards

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld