News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking at the photo in the latest Soldbuch I just acquired from Kevin got me thinking about the quality of photos you sometimes see in IDs (the Ausweis, Soldbuch, Wehrpass etc).

I've seen some pretty rare awards worn, but often in crummy blurred photos , so the quality of the photograph could vary dramatically.

How about showing some of your really crisp photos. Not necessarily rare units or rare awards, just really nice photos.

Here is an enlargement of Hauptmann Marquardt of Bahnhofskommandantur 402, shown as Oberleutnant with Artillery Regt 116.

Some nice images. Here is one that I can think of in my collection. Photo taken while he was serving with Inf.Rgt 22 (1934-1940) before he was eventually transferred in 1940 and was killed with IR 547 in 1943, posthumously promoted to Leutnant.

And one in similar circumstances to Post # 5 - a spare Soldbuch photo that is tucked into his Wehrpass. A former member of the Landespolizeigruppe General Göring and pre-war Gestapo who transferred to the Waffen-SS in 1943 and served with Hohenstaufen through to wars end...

Gordon

Excellent photos indeed but can you help me with a question? Were there any official guidelines as to the style and composition of the photographs used?

It is almost as if the photographs were chosen to suit the individuals taste. I remember that when we had our British army and indeed British Police photo's done they were all photographed in exactly the same way and were taken to show the front of the face for identification purposes.

Any thoughts please?

Regards Simon

There were indeed regulations stipulated for the type of photo to be used but there are so many variations 'out there' that it seems to of been a regulation that was widely ignored! I have in my collection of Soldbucher & Wehrpasse photos showing full length poses and wearing headwear and I have seen plenty of other examples of such 'flouting'.

Edited by hucks216