News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII RAF AIRGUNNER 207 SQN

Gents

Please find attached a group picture of my late Grand Uncle group picture. The story goes back to 1980 when I spoke to my uncle Hugh who was in his 70,s and told me about his time in the war as an air gunner and all the close scraps with German fighter Pilots. I thought at the time he may of egged up his accounts and thought nothing much else about it. This old boy, a retired Enginner, died and the family left me his flying log book and RAF AirGunner brevet. I read through his account and then found out that if anything he was modest about his 35 missions, it turns out he joined at the begining of WWII but was turned down for aircrew and spent 3 1/2 years as a ground engineer and PT instructor and during March 44 he applied and was accepted as an air gunner. He maintained an account alongside his mission log and one of his accounts he said " Sitting up as mid upper I saw two Lancs in front collide, 14 men just gone in a second and one behind me broke up due to flak or fighter, I dont know".

He was injured by flak during an op and said afterwards the side of the Lance was peppered with 14 holes.

He was a very brave man and his accounts are a boys own adventure.

Around 10 years ago when I took up an interest in military medals, I asked if he had any medals in the family and no one knew. After a few letters the medal office sent me his entitlement because he demobed in 47 he did not apply himself for his medals.

Hugh is sitting in the front row centre. He finished at the rank of Temp WO.

I hope you enjoy the story.

Regards

Stephen

His medals are new issue from the MoD and to be honest best left as is. The medals are of a very low value (around 15 to 20 Pounds each) however the main thing was getting the letter and medal card after 64 years to recognise his effort during the war. After the second World War and you demobbed you had to claim your medals to get them. This was not the case after WWI, I would guess it was a cost saving activity at the time. Not a way to treat returning servicemen back in to civilian street.

As there is a positive update, I will try and print off a few extracts from his account. During his last Op in March 45 His oxygen line froze up and he started to pass out but was sorted out with a portable supply. Its a lonely place being a mid upper.

More to come!!