News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Finnish Collection 1918-1945

Thanks TacHel and Chrisophe ,

I don¨t think there where any official cases for these crosses , the only one I´ve seen has been German ones probably bought private.

It is strange since the Order of White Rose have original cases and also Order of the LIon but not this one ?

Christer

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 181
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christer,

I just notice this thread and I have to say that You have a truly wonderful collection!

One detail:

Your posts #51 and #52 "Benignitates humane Finlandia memor": It is a Finnish medal, not Swedish.

Regards,

Jussi-Pekka

Christer,

I just notice this thread and I have to say that You have a truly wonderful collection!

One detail:

Your posts #51 and #52 "Benignitates humane Finlandia memor": It is a Finnish medal, not Swedish.

Regards,

Jussi-Pekka

Aha , Thanks Jussi-Pekka , I always thought it was a Swedish one .

Getting hard to find any Finnish Orders in Sweden now ..... and ribbon bars is nowhere to see

Christer

• 3 weeks later...

Very Nice Alan !!

It looks like he had Finnish Lion Order Commander , White Rose Commander and Liberty Cross 2nd class or first ? very unusual button on the ribbonbar and last the Civil Guard Cross

I will look through my lists , but he has no 1918 medal so I think of an Staff officer in Finland 1941-44 , Gebirgs jäger ??

Christer

Hi Christer,

I think all the Rosettes represent "commander grade" awards.

Order of the Lion of Finland Commander 1st Class

Finnish order of the White Rose 1st Class Commander (Knight)

Order of the Cross of Liberty Commander Grade.

Finnish Civil Guard Merit Cross.

I thought Gebirgsjaeger too. I couldn't find an exact match on the German awards though.

Hm , the Liberty Cross must represent a first class 1941 , I have seen this kind of ribbon bar before but very unusual.

I belive 72 Germans was awarded the LC 1 1941, included 9 from Kriegs Marine . I dont think he was KM so 63 left :)

I will look and see if I can find a match

Christer

"Order of the Lion of Finland Commander 1st Class

Finnish order of the White Rose 1st Class Commander"

Alan, I believe this is correct, given the gold-silver stripe in addition to the rosettes. I'm not sure about the Liberty Cross though, as there was no breat-star in addition to this class (the Mannerheimbeing a class of its own) and the 2nd class being worn on the breast.

There was really a breast star to the first class but its extreme rare ;)

Only 11 Germans got the Liberty Cross with Swords and Breast star 1941 .....

Ernst Busch He had other Decorations

Wilhelm Canaris Had other Decorations

Waldemar Erfurth Had other Decorations

Kurt Fricke Had other Decorations

Rudolf Gercke No Match

Hans Jeschonnek Had Romanian Awards

Alfred Jodl No Match

Günther Korten No Match

Georg Lindemann No Match

Felix Steiner No Match

Kurt Zeitzler No Match

But it is not " normal" to have a neck order on a ribbon bar , but since the owner was German maybe he did a " Weimar" :whistle:

Christer

Edited by christerd

The only person I could find with several matching German awards was Generalleutnant Krakow. Gebirgsjaeger.

• Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross: 21 June 1941, Oberst, Commander of Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 85.
    • Prussian Iron Cross, 1st Class (1914): 18 May 1918.
    • Prussian Iron Cross, 2nd Class (1914): 17 June 1917.
    • 1939 Bar to the Prussian Iron Cross, 1st Class: 25 June 1940.
    • 1939 Bar to the Prussian Iron Cross, 2nd Class: 12 June 1940.
    • Bavarian Military Merit Cross, 2nd Class with Swords: 25 June 1917.
    • Cross of Honor for Combatants 1914-1918
    • Armed Forces Long Service Award, 1st Class (25-year Service Cross)
    • Armed Forces Long Service Award, 3rd Class (12-year Service Medal)
    • Commemorative Medal of 13 March 1938
    • Austrian Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class with War Decoration: 2 May 1918.
    • Wound Badge in Black – World War I award: 10 June 1918.
    • “KRETA” Campaign Cuff-Title
    • Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty, 1st Class with Swords: 15 May 1943.
    • Saber of Honor for good shooting with the heavy machinegun: 21 November 1933.

I am aware that some Generals "dressed down" their ribbon bars, not to include long service awards and other state awards, an example of this for instance would be General Hans Krebs, but there are many other examples out there.

• Austrian Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class with War Decoration: 2 May 1918. It makes sense that if he was awarded this medal, he would also wear the 1938 Austro-Hungarian Commemorative medal. As for the Ernestine Haus Order and Finnish awards, I cannot find a match...

• 2 years later...

And 2015 is a great year for collectors of Finnish awards  ( if you have enough Gold....)

Here are some real nice Finnish Orders , all sold this year at Künker Auctions in Germany

Prices ??  650 Euro for the cheapest one and 11 000 Euro !! for the most expensive. 

I couldn't sleep for two days after seeing what I missed :)

Christer

FFrK1kr.jpg

FFrK 39.jpg

FFrK 3RKb.jpg

FFrK 1b.jpg

FFrK3RK39b.jpg

1939 wo swordsbb.jpg

Edited by christerd
    to big pics

• 1 year later...

Christerd,

Great collection ,Thanks for sharing all the information about this wonderful organisation...here is my contribution. A document and (2) medals....medal on right came with document..

Dave

LOTTA SVARD DOC.JPG

2 hours ago, sadolch said:

Christerd,

Great collection ,Thanks for sharing all the information about this wonderful organisation...here is my contribution. A document and (2) medals....medal on right came with document..

Dave

LOTTA SVARD DOC.JPG

Very nice Dave !

I think there was about 2600 awarded of this medal !

But I think the document is even rarer , I have not seen more than a couple during the years . 

Christer

Vili,.

Thanks for the info,,this mini medal arrived today from Great Britain & next week i hope will be the Svard armband...note  suspension ring is soldered to medal ring ...ribbons do not glow under black light. 

Dave594ac2154b2bc_svardmini.thumb.JPG.1a3d9ad45c3e274c5198100487327e5c.JPG

Edited by sadolch
    added new info

• 3 months later...