News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trench Maps

Sorting out my late father's papers recently, I came across a couple of WW1 trench maps. The first, ' France sheet 36 N.W.' scale 1:20,000, is centred on Armentieres and shows the trench systems to the east and south of there as at 24 September 1917 . The second, 'France Sheet 51B S.W.', same scale, shows a number of small towns e.g. Mercatel, in the British lines, and Croisilles in the German lines - many more trenches and much more complex systems than on the first. Shows the situation as at 27 July 1918.

I know nothing about these sort of maps. Are they collected?

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

I use my Trench Maps in conjuction with my War diaries. In this way I can translate mapcoördinates into placenames . Trench maps are indispensable when using War diaries. Mine are only copies, when you have the authentic maps then it's always more special.

Kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Is there a site that you can download some of these maps. I collect WW1 war medals and research the soldiers whos medals they are, It would be interesting to view these maps if I could get the correct areas.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi again,

You have mentioned using your war diaries. I am a member of Ancestry.co.uk and in the past I have had to go to Kew to try and view the war diaries and have had a lot of prblems in doing so. Is there any easier way of looking these up or buying the complete diary of the regiment.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi there,

Is there a site that you can download some of these maps. I collect WW1 war medals and research the soldiers whos medals they are, It would be interesting to view these maps if I could get the correct areas.

Cheers,

Alan

Hello Again Alan,

You can find some maps here: http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

kind regards,

Jef