News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Eclectic Fleamarket Finds

Picked up last weekend at the fleamarket, a small eclectic convolute (1) Wehrpass - soldier iron cross & silver assault badge holder killed in Russia.(2) Bronze reichswehr / wehrmacht drum hanger (3) Two tinnies (4) A large 27,5cm x 39cm curious 1940 Citation given to a farmer, praising his efforts producing milk in the "milk battle" and his performance in the "fight against the fat blockade", seems a strange word choice, considering, 1940 the Third Reich were at their zenith. Looking at the faint print symbols, document appears to be issued by Reichsnährstand. If any member has any information on these documents types, please add it to the thread.

Regards

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your post. I've had a cursory look through the wehrpass, couple of interesting features emerge, the soldiers last unit - Jäger Bataillon 9 according to Lexikon der Wehrmacht there were only 14 of these units in the army and they are grouped together with the Gebirgsjäger troops. I'm unclear what roll they had - if you have any idea, please let me know.

Also the last ink Battle Calendar entry says, the soldier was in the Kursk area, February 1943. In fact he was killed 9.7.43 Südlich - Gnilizer, Russland (thats how I read it) as the Kursk Battle raged 4th-20th.7.43. However I've not be able to locate Gnilizer - but I hope it maybe somewhere near the Kurst area - tieing the wehrpass to the battle. I'll keep on looking for the Gnilizer location. Any information is welcome.

Regards

You can read the location better then I can as I can't make it out! Have you tried to see if he is in the on-line Volksbund database that might (maybe a big might) give a modern day alternative of where he died or is buried? Unfortunately alot of the places in Russia from the war years are now called something entirely different or might be small enough (i.e. a village in the middle of nowhere) that they don't warrant any recorded listings, at least on the net.

Jager Bataillone's were independant Heer units and generally stronger equipped then ones that were part of Gebirgsjager/Jager Divisions. The only additional information I have been able to find is on Feldgrau Forum... www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6749&start=0

Edited by hucks216

AlecH,

Jaeger units were riflemen and have a long history in the German military. While they could be found in association with Moutain troops they were not trained in mountain warfare. Some independamt Jaeger battalions were raised on the eastern front and were at the disposal at army level and could be used as raiding battalions or in counter espionage activities. Jaeger Divisions were equipped as "Light Divisions". As a light division it was more portable that a normal infantry division. However, during the war some infantry divisions were converted to Jaeger divisions and the line dividing one from the other became blurred.

Regards,

Gordon

Gentlemen - Kevin, Uwe, Gordon,

Thanks everyone for the posts and information. Kevin I did run the the passholders details through the Volksbund search site, it came up with nothing. Uwe your translation - Gniliza (modern spelling Gnilitza) came out right, it's positon is over 300 Kilometer south-east of Kursk - must research further how big the area was, that Kurst battle took place over. Gordon there's a few lines on the WW2 Jäger soldiers in Lexikon der Wehrmacht states broadly what you say - Jäger soldiers originally light infantry were formed and trained to fight on difficult terrain - Jäger Divisions resembled closely in formation and equipment Gebirgsjäger divisions

Regards

If he died 300km SE of Kursk then he wasn't involved in that battle as that is much too far away. Belgorod was at the southern neck of the bulge and that is approx 130 km SE of Kursk. However Jager Btl 9 was part of Gruppe von Manteuffel (XXXXVI Pz Korps) of 9 Armee for the Kursk Offensive so is there another place by that name as 9 Armee was on the northern side of the bulge and the FpNr does match Jager Btl 9?

One of the places in the path of XXXXVI Pz.Korps right on the front line was a place called Gnilets - could this be it?

Edited by hucks216

The map images are taken from Kursk 1943 A Statistical Analysis by Niklas Zetterling & Anders Frankson and show the advance of 9 Armee on the 5-6th July 1943. By the 12th July they were further south and past Gnilets.

The entry for 9th July 1943 states for the Northern Front: During this day no new attacks were performed by the Germans. Rather, they spent most of the day preparing for attacks to be conducted the following day. Soviet forces mounted counterattacks trying to push the Germans back to the starting line. These attacks failed to achieve any gains.

So maybe he was killed fending off these counterattacks in the area of Gnilets?

Gnilets looks to be on the boundary between 31 ID (which was XXXXVI Pz.Korps) and 20 PD (which was XXXVIII Pz.Korps)

Edited by hucks216

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your time and excellent last two posts, interesting to read, its a fantastic thing if it were Gnilets, your a couple of ticks ahead of me, I've not been able find a link - Jäger Btl. 9 with Gruppe von Manteuffels Panzer Korp, 9 Armee. Have you a list of the 9th Armee units or feldpost Nr's. involved in the kursk battle? I did try getting into the feldgrau site, not being a member it didn't work, but if has the necessary information I'll join. Again thanks for the posts.

Best Wishes

The OOB for 9 Armee is listed here...

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=6477

If you scroll down to Heeresgruppe Mitte, and then scroll down a little more then you will find all the units allocated to 9 Armee, including 258 Inf.Div + Grp 'Manteuffel' (9, 10, 11 Jag.Btls). Axis History Forum is definitely a forum you should be signed up for when it comes to researching units and numerous other subject matter.

Kevin,

Again thanks for the tip - Axis History, I did find the Jäger Btl. 9 listed on your link. Usually when researching my first port of call is Lexikon der Wehrmacht which is a bit patchy, sometimes it has a good deal of information and its great, other times its a bit sparse, then I try googling which is a bit hit and miss. I'll certainly be using Axis History a lot more in the future.

Best Wishes