News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870-71 Franco-Prussian Medal with green and yellow ribbon

jeffskea

Good day,

I just picked up this French medal which appears to be the commemorative medal for the Franco-Prussian War 1870-71 issued around 1911. I just can't find the same medal with this particular ribbon and style of "Engage Volontaire" Clasp - all others I have found have the green ribbon with 4 black stripes and a different style bar. Has anyone seen this same type before?

The obverse of the medal has 'Georges Lemaire' underneath the "R" in Replublique and on the reverse the L encircled G makers mark. The ribbon looks like its orginal just haven't been able to find much on it, any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff, yes, I have seen this one. I believe it's the WWI version of the 1911 1870/71 unofficial medal. It's ribbon is a variation of the Medaille Militaire (yellow with green edge stripes) and was available for private purchase by volunteers to the Army during WWI.

Later once the official WWI commemorative medal was issued, volunteers were authorized to wear the Engage Voluntaire bar on that medal.

Edited by IrishGunner

Jeff

The obverse of the medal you show belongs to the very late 1870/71 commemorative medal established in 1909. The reverse should say "Aux defenseurs de la Patrie".

The appropriate ribbon was green with black stripes. An "ENGAGE VOLONTAIRE" clasp was allowed on the ribbon.

The ribbon on your medal is for the unofficial Engagé volontaire medal available from various private firms very soon afer WW1 and bought by veterans who had volunteered during the war. It could be bought by anyone who cared to and was never officially allowed for wear on the uniform.

The proper thing to do was to wear an ENGAGE VOLONTAIRE clasp on the ribbon of the 1914-1918 commemerative medal.

A Croix du Combattant was created in the 30s. The only official award for war-volonteers is the Croix du Combattant volontaire created a few years later, which is considered to be an important decoration ranking immediately after the Croix de guerre. It was restricted to men who qualified both for the Croix du Combattant and had volunteered.

Hope this helps

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Oh my! Veteran's right! Good catch!

With the out of focus picture I just went by the ribbon which as he so correctly points out, is incorrect. This is your medal with proper ribbon. It is an official medal for the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71. The clasp ENGAGÉ VOLONTAIRE stands for VOLUNTEER ENLISTEE.

Edited by TacHel