News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SERVICES RENDERED - WW1 BADGE

During the 1st World War it was quite common for ignorant civilians to abuse and ridicule any man in public but, not in uniform. Military authorities quickly realised that this could cause a man discharged with wounds - or, perhaps re-cuperating from wounds and in civilian dress, great distress.

The badge selected was in silver - had the Royal cypher - and was numbered on the reverse to prevent mis-use.

Most British Countries had these badges and during the course of the two World Wars, there were different patterns and styles. I am sure many members will have examples and I hope that we can extend this thread. Strictly speaking they do not come under our heading of Medals - however, many recipients looked on them as an award - particularly, since the medals were not issued until much later.

The one I am showing here is 1st World War and is South African in origin.

Isn't there a list of these #s issued? At the Great War Forum some members there are regularly able to put names to a badge.

They're at the National Archives although there are the Services Rendered books which have the numbers for badges issued to officers, RFC, MGC, Tank Corps, nurses and a few other units.

RN badges are available online.

Those from other countries e.g. Canada, Australia, India, NZ, SA can probably be found in the archives of the relevent country if the records survive.

Tony

The pins on SWB's must have been easy to break, below is a variation of repairs.

I'd have a guess at saying most replaced pins were homemade repairs.

Tony

Edited by Tony

RAF!? Have you researched this? A pilot who got pranged perhaps?

One of them has been researched, he was an AM/3 discharged in 1919 due to wounds but according to the paperwork I have he was wounded in 1917 while serving with the RIR and wasn't transferred to the RAF until March/April 1918.

I'd like a badge to someone in the old RFC but they don't have the RAF prefix, they're numbered in the same as army issued badges.

Tony

Hello, here is a similar WWI badge - a Canadian Expeditionary Force "For Service at the Front" badge. They have a 5 digit number on the reverse which I find doesn't correspond to the recipient's service number and the warning of a $500.00 fine or 6 months imprisonment for misuse.

I've personally only come across two but I don't think they are too uncommon - finding one with the recipients medals is a bit less frequent -being a smaller pin they probably were easily separated from the medals unfortuneately. It would be something to be proud of for sure as not everyone would have received one.

• 2 months later...