News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More info about a u-boat badge belonged to U-463 and U-230 member

Hi Ben,

A very nice original zinc Schwerin U-boat badge. These are less common than the earlier Tombak varieties. It was never "silver" but the gilding has disappeared over time as it often does.

That looks like a nice crisp photo too. Could you perhaps do a high resolution scan of the U-boat in the photo and post a magnified view? Could be very interesting.

Best regards,

---Norm

Hello there,

An original badge produced in zinc. The original award was the same bronze color as the reverse hardware assembly, but has been lost to time. The reverse hardware is constructed using a different type of metal, and not the low-quality zinc like the rest of the badge, thus the finish on the superior quality metal has held up much better over time.

Very interesting that you have an attributed badge along with the photo of the recipient wearing the badge! Thanks for sharing.

Wiliam Kramer

Hi Ben,

A very nice original zinc Schwerin U-boat badge. These are less common than the earlier Tombak varieties. It was never "silver" but the gilding has disappeared over time as it often does.

Best regards,

---Norm

I agree with Norm,

the only company i could attribute this zinc award to would be Schwerin.

A very nice and hard to find late variant by Schwerin IMO.

Super portrait of the award in wear also.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• 3 weeks later...