News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

In other places on this forum we've talked about heads of former ruling houses wearing and/or awarding orders. Some don't like it, some say that if it's a house order it survives the overthrow of the monarchy and is a valid award of the house so long as it survives. I know the current duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and his children wear the Saxe Ernestine order and have awarded it to others. I've seen photos of Julius Eduard Prinz von Anhalt, Herzog zu Sachsen, the head of the ducal house of Anhalt, wearing the Order of Albert the Bear. Well, today while looking at a royalty site article about the upcoming wedding of the head of the imperial house of Germany and royal house of Prussia, Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen, I saw this photo of Prinz Georg Friedrich and his future bride, Princess Sophie von Isenburg , taken at the wedding of Prince Albert II of Monaco, showing Georg Friedrich wearing the Order of the Black Eagle, of which he is the grand master. This is the first time I've ever seen the Black Eagle being worn other than in antique photos and paintings.

georgfriedrichwithblack.jpg

Regarding other house orders, we can see that at the wedding Prince Bernhard of Baden also wore his, the House Order of Fidelity.

It appears that he is also wearing the Order of the Golden Fleece around the neck?

A few other Monaco wedding pictures show the head of the house of Bragança wearing his Golden Fleece and Portuguese house orders, and one of the (disputed) heads of the House of Romanov, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, accompanied by her son, both wearing the Order of St. Andrew the First-Called.

Thanks, Dave! I for one, am glad to see these orders still out and about. I saw an article on a royalist website where some "leftist" (their words, not mine) German polititians are already whining about the upcoming wedding. An independent televesion station is going to televise it and it's going to be held at the church at Sans Souci Palace in Potsdam with a guest list of around 700.

That could be the Golden Fleece on Prince Bernhard, but he's not on any membership list I can find on the Internet.

It appears that he is also wearing the Order of the Golden Fleece around the neck?

Unlikely, and if it were, it had to be the Spanish - as the house of Baden is protestant.

I think it's rather the Baden order that was (is?!) awarded together with the House order of fidelity, if given to royals: The grand cross of the Berthold-Orden, to be worn on the neck!

That seems odd... imagine the Prussian prince would wear the RAO grand cross on the neck... :P

Edited by saschaw

Unlikely, and if it were, it had to be the Spanish - as the house of Baden is protestant.

I think it's rather the Baden order that was (is?!) awarded together with the House order of fidelity, if given to royals: The grand cross of the Berthold-Orden, to be worn on the neck!

That seems odd... imagine the Prussian prince would wear the RAO grand cross on the neck... :P

Also, every time I've seen the Spanish Order of the Golden Fleece worn, it's been on a red neck ribbon, but all the Austrian ones I've seen were worn on a small gold collar or chain.

I have no idea, of course, what the "official" status of the RAO is, but the International Commission on Orders of Chivalry (ICOC), which is a private body and really has no authority over any of this stuff, only recognizes 3 house orders for Prussia, the Black Eagle, Royal Hohenzollern and Louisa. They consider everything else to have been a governmental order that died with the fall of the monarchy. The only order they recognize for Baden is Fidelity, but hey, he's a prince, he can do pretty much what he wants!

Upon enlarging the photo to almost impossible size, it appears to be some type of white enamel cross with a gold crown above it and has a red ribbon with either white or some other light colored stripe along the edges.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

“I saw an article on a royalist website where some "leftist" (their words, not mine) German politicians are already whining about the upcoming wedding.”

“Is the government paying any of the costs?”

“Certainly not.”

Then what’s all the whining about? Have we come to the point where cheap politicians or The State can dictate what citizens can, or can’t wear to their own weddings? I am sure that we have all seen weirder costume choices.

Upon enlarging the photo to almost impossible size, it appears to be some type of white enamel cross with a gold crown above it and has a red ribbon with either white or some other light colored stripe along the edges.

Golden stripes, yes. As said, odd he's wearing it. I know a picture of his father or grand father, from the 1960s, wearing the very same combination. Well, they just do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding other house orders, we can see that at the wedding Prince Bernhard of Baden also wore his, the House Order of Fidelity.

A few other Monaco wedding pictures show the head of the house of Bragança wearing his Golden Fleece and Portuguese house orders, and one of the (disputed) heads of the House of Romanov, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, accompanied by her son, both wearing the Order of St. Andrew the First-Called.

I always wonder how they weear this, pinned somewhere under their shoulder?

• 8 years later...

Saxe-Ernestine House Order:

Hubertus von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha

The Wedding Of Princess Madeleine & Christopher O'Neill : Nachrichtenfoto

Andreas von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha

Bildergebnis für andreas von sachsen coburg und gotha"

Bavarian Order of St. Hubert:

Manuel von Bayern

Bildergebnis für manuel prinz von bayern"

Leopold von Bayern?