News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photos of British Generals and Field Marshals wearing Royal Cyphers - please post

Gentlemen,

I am doing a bit of pictorial research on Generals and Field Marshals wearing the Royal Cyphers on their uniforms, and I would like to view a variety of high resolution photographs of how these cyphers were worn on the uniform tunics and jackets.

Some of these officers, such as Deverill, having served two monarchs, wore more than one cypher.

Photographs of personalities such as Deverill, Auchinleck, Harold Alexander, and Mountbatten (with his three cyphers) would be most gratefully appreciated.

If you do not wish to post the pictures here, you could also contact me privately.

Thank you very much.

-Alf

Hi Mervyn, thanks for your help in advance. What sort of article are you looking for? Let me know, and I'll try to come up with something you can use.

Hi - Alf. I'll have a look and see what I can find - and I'm sure others will also. You have an interesting collecting field - both Brian and I would welcome an article from you on your collection. Mervyn

Alf - a history of senior officers' insignia over the past few hundred years. With llustrations I think it would make a very different - and important - article.

For length - as long as you need - but, as a guide - about 5 or 6 A4 size + photos. Once questions start to come-in you will be able to enlarge on points.

Once we see the content , Brian and I will be very happy to consider it for pinning and also the 'Moderators' Choice' panel. This remains with the thread even when un-pinned. We read every post with a view to doing this as a thankyou.

Mervyn, my collection does not go back that far, unfortunately! It would take me a very long time to prepare something on that scale that is worth reading. My collection spans a several countries where you can see the relationship of rank insignia within the various colonies, and the timeframe is only within the last fifty to sixty years. My specialty would be Singapore from 1965 - present, but apart from being a member of the Commonwealth, would not really fit in with the few-hundred-year British senior officer rank article. What are your thoughts on this?

Alf - a history of senior officers' insignia over the past few hundred years. With llustrations I think it would make a very different - and important - article. For length - as long as you need - but, as a guide - about 5 or 6 A4 size + photos. Once questions start to come-in you will be able to enlarge on points. Once we see the content , Brian and I will be very happy to consider it for pinning and also the 'Moderators' Choice' panel. This remains with the thread even when un-pinned. We read every post with a view to doing this as a thankyou.

Alf - sorry if I "frightened' you with my long list for a possible article. I am sure whatever you write will be very welcome - and of course we will leave it to you to do what you are comfortable with. Senior officers do go through phases with their insignia - I have noticed that British Police Chief Constables have - for example - started to enlarge their shoulder rank insignia.

** I should have mentioned - three Forums down GB Empire Colonial Sth. Africa etc.. Bottom of page 1 I did a post on British

Generals of the Boer War. Lots of good illustrations which may be of some help.