News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Libyan Medal Bar - can anyone identify ribbons pls

JimZ

A lot of them look Egyptian... and not the sort of higher ranking orders and decorations you'd expect for a head of state.

Top row #2: Order of Liberation?

Third row #2-3: Military Medal of Duty?

Seventh row #2-3: Medal of Training?

Seventh row #4: Medal of Exceptional Promotion?

Eighth row #1: Medal of Long Service and Good Example?

I'll bet there are a lot of other Arab and African awards here, but I leave it to the experts to identify.

It truly is a cheap-looking ribbon bar. You'd expect better from someone who seemed to enjoy style.

Thanks Chris. I am sure there may be also be a few self awarded Libyan ones in there although I did not manage to identify them!

You make a point about a head of state's awards but remember, he was after all, only a colonel!! :cheeky: As I once mentioned in an other thread it was the easiest thing for someone in his position to make himself a general or a marshal!

If anyone else can contribute pls......

Jim :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Whilst I am currently on leave in UK and away from my records, I concur with Chris that a number of the awards are Egyptian. After the 1969 coup the initial series of Lybian awards closely followed or indeed mirrored the design of the awards of the Egyptian Republic - bravery , merit, wound, etc., and were manufactured in Egypt and probably later in Italy. Col. Qaddafi was closely mentored/supported by Nasser until his death. At some stage three very large medals (6/7cm diameter) were instituted (see Werlich) - Orders of Bravery, Jihad and Republic (the latter a breast badge & pin-back star - not sure if this is one class or two separate classes - see second ribbon). These appear to have been manufactured by both Italian and Yugoslav companies. Once Comrade Brother Muammar decided to proclaim the Jamahariya and declare the the red, white, black flag obsolete and proclaim a green flag the award system changed again, e.g. The Order for Good Works, a pin back breast star had its colours changed from red, white, black to green white black. As ever with Arab awards documentary evidence for anything is lacking. I gather in the recent past tenders for new awards were given by British companies - no doubt Italian ones too. Two years ago the Order of the 40th Anniversary of the 1969 "Revolution" was manufactured by a British company - awarded in one class to heads of state only. I hope these observations assist.

Kind regards, Owain.

Edited by oamotme

Hi Owain,

Thanks for your reply. It does throw some additional light, not only on this ribbon bar but also on the Libyan award system. Perhaps with the new revolution, libyan awards will become available freely on the market and it will be interesting to learn more about them (although I doubt I will actually get involved in collecting these!)

Yet I still remain curious as to the content of the Colonel's bar and hope that we can eventually number and label them all.

Jim :cheers:

Gentlemen,

I can now confirm that the top row consists of the Order of Bravery and the Order of the Republic. I would suggest that the first ribbon (colours not clear) on the second row is the Order of the Jihad - there are images of Qaddafi wearing all three of these large awards without ribbon - affixed directly by their suspension or pinback to the front of a sash. I have today seen images for a tender (mid80's/90's) which was not followed up and can also confirm that Chris's contention that the first series of Qaddafi awards did indeed follow the awards of Nasser's Egypt. Additionally there is a Fatah (Victory) Medal in three classes - gilt, silver and bronze - the reverse bears an open book with the inscription "The Green Book" - suspended from a green ribbon. There is also an order of the Great Victory - breast star, sash (green) and sash badge - I am unsure whether the medal and order are separate awards or linked to each other. Additionally there is a more recent Order of Loyalty - a one class award suspended from a narrow green ribbon flecked with gold.

Kind regards, Owain,

P.S. Should this thread be relocated to the Arab world?

• 3 months later...
    • 3 years later...

With the power that he had, one would think that he would have advanced himself to GFM or something.  I bet that it would have been awkward to have been a General under him, in uniform. 

Here are some images of him before he lost his mind and botoxed the hell out of his face.  He must have been a genius before his pathology kicked in.