News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mannerheim Cross for sale on E.....

Yep , what do you know , one of the rarest awards in the world ( 191 ) awarded and in class with

the UK Victoria Cross , last I saw one for sale it had a start bid of 40 000 Euro !!!

But on Ebay.de you can get one for no more than 100 E at the moment :whistle:

http://cgi.ebay.de/1569-Finnland-Orden-Kreuz-Freiheit-1941-/300589945560?pt=Militaria&hash=item45fc8e92d8

There is a small problem, as I belive it the real MH crosses are not allowed to leave Finland ?

Can anyone confirm that...

Christer

Yep , what do you know , one of the rarest awards in the world ( 191 ) awarded and in class with

the UK Victoria Cross , last I saw one for sale it had a start bid of 40 000 Euro !!!

But on Ebay.de you can get one for no more than 100 E at the moment :whistle:

http://cgi.ebay.de/1...=item45fc8e92d8

There is a small problem, as I belive it the real MH crosses are not allowed to leave Finland ?

Can anyone confirm that...

Christer

Certainly that was the case with Pajari's two awards in around 1995, I am not sure what the law is now.

All the best,

Paul

Of course it is a copy on eBay. The front looks okay but definitely not worth too much though, IMO.

According to what I heard, the real ones are indeed not allowed to leave Finland...

The Mannerheim cross on ebay is definitely a copy; but it is a war time copy of the German company Steinhauer und Lück.

This company also manufactured Crosses of Liberty in the WW 2.

Reference ==> see the book of Jani Tiainen.

I think 500 Euros for such a cross is quite good.

Well 400 E for a copy is still alot of money for a copy IMO . Since no one except Finnish citizens ever was awarded a Mannerheim Cross there couldnt be any real demand for a MH cross in Germany except for collectors.

Christer

Well 400 E for a copy is still alot of money for a copy IMO . Since no one except Finnish citizens ever was awarded a Mannerheim Cross there couldnt be any real demand for a MH cross in Germany except for collectors.

Christer

Exactly what I thought as well.

Hi would compare it like this: If nature gave your wife / girl-friend small "eyes" and you would like to have big "eyes", you also would take artificial ones...because you only have this possibility...

And I think, it is like with a Mannerheim cross...you will not (never I would not say) get an original Mannerheim cross very easily...so, what is the only thing you can do? Take a copy, but a wartime piece...

Detlef

• 5 months later...

Hi,

It's the first time I hear that one order can not leave one Country ? do you have an explanation please ?

Christophe

Dear Friends,

Its been a while since I was in GMIC last time (Too many children & work & politics) ;)

That eBay thing was a S&L manufacture - however they did not make those until the 1950's-1980's. I guess their purpose was to fill the demand from german veterans, but nobody in Ludenscheid checked wheter Mannerheim Cross was ever awarded to foreigner - No... Even this post war cross is quite rare. It is unofficial type since S&L did not have permission from Order of the Cross Liberty.

Technically Mannerheim cross is not high enough in cultural value to have export restrictions. 191 awarded is not unique historical artifact as law says.

In case of taking Mannerheim cross out of Finland you might still be in trouble if seized in customs and you would have to apply the permission to take it out.

The Mannerheim crosses in case of export would be evaluated by the recipient. Crosses awarded to important historical persons such as generals might not get the export lisence.

The case with Pajari's lot in British auction and the return of the items to Finland was not primarily based in export law - however the ownership of the lot was questioned and it took years to solve until the lot was finally sold in Finland. Naturally the strong actions by department of antiquity and some politicians had effect on the case, but the return was not based on the lack of export lisence.

However, Aarno Pajari was one out of four who got Mannerheim cross twice (with crosses batons) and likely the lot would not have got the lisence If ever applied.

Jani