News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order of St Alexander -Two Variatians?

• 2 months later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-12584-0-98986800-1324297647.jpgHi ,

i was away

The Order of St Alexander is very complex

You can discuss for ages

I was looking for more Variations for this Unique Order

Thank you New World,

I did not forget the First Class with this beautiful green enamel

I just wanted to show these rare luxury examples with Diamonds - variations from the Standard Orders

Graf

Graf,

Thank you for lovely pics of awards with diamonds! I've seen them before, once in a while they are offered for sale at auctions.

Most of them came from personal collection of former Bulgarian King Ferdinang I, apparently he was also a collector. Portion of his collection was sold by his grandson Simeon in the end of 1990s.

Yes,

Ferdinand was quite interisting person

When you compare the Orders from his period with the ones from his son Boris III you can realise how much he liked the glomour

By the way he spend qite a bit from his family wealth for transforming the capital Sofia into europian city.

From the photos that exist it is obvious that sometimes he had carry significant part of his collection for display

• 4 months later...

The other Order -it looks like to be from French Maker It came with French Legion of Honour Officer Ribbon with rosette

The cross is 35 mm wide and 4.5 mm thick It appears to be 4-th Class of The second Model 1887 - however it has a crown, which looks like the crowns made by French makers for exported foreign orders. Usually this Class comes without crown

Hi,

I added recently to my collection Princely Issue of the 4-th Class of the Order of St Alexander -French made and marked with a "boar head" for silver on the ring.

The Stamdard Princely issue of the 4-th Class is 38 mm wide and although it is thicker than the Austrian and German made crosses it is still thinner compared to the Unusual Variation -also, French made ( the typical "F" letter on the February on the reverse medallion)

Now I can give you more updated pictures with the Unusual Variation of this class with a crown compared to the other Crosses.

You can see the difference especially on the last picture where I have included The Unusual Variation of the 4-th Class of the Princely Issue with the crown, The Standard, French made, Princely issue of the 4th Class and the of the Kings Boris III issue pf the 4-th Class.

Regards

Graf

You can see the difference on the last picture where I have included The Unusual Variation of the 4-th Class of the Princely Issue with the crown, The Standard, French made, Princely issue of the 4th Class and the King Boris III issue of the 4-th Class.

Regards

Graf

• 2 months later...

Here's my massive breast star for Grand Cross grade of St Alexander with swords in the middle.

Very rare award from Balkan Wars and WWI period, only few were awarded to high-ranking Generals for merits during war.

Edited by new world

Hi New World,

What is the size of the Star?

Did you buy it recently, because if it is the same Star , the dealer told me it is 84 mm

Here is another interesting Set related to this topic 2-nd Class or Grand Officer Set with swords above the cross (or bellow the crown)

The Breast Star is silver marked 900 on the pin

The interesting thing is that the Badge has the Crown in brass, however the Cross is in gilded siver.

Also for some reasons the cross looked to have been moddified from one with swords on the middle to standard one???!!!. The swords were either cut off and the site polished over or the holes for the swords were plagged with silver pieces and ploished.

I do not know, whether was modified by the maker or by recipient ..or from someone later on to increse the value. We know that peace time Military Division Orders are much more rare.

Here is another interesting Set related to this topic 2-nd Class or Grand Officer Set with swords above the cross (or bellow the crown)

The Breast Star is silver marked 900 on the pin

The interesting thing is that the Badge has the Crown in brass, however the Cross is in gilded siver.

Also for some reasons the cross looked to have been moddified from one with swords on the middle to standard one???!!!. The swords were either cut off and the site polished over or the holes for the swords were plagged with silver pieces and ploished.

I do not know, whether was modified by the maker or by recipient ..or from someone later on to increse the value. We know that peace time Military Division Orders are much more rare.

Nice set!

I guess we will never know when the modifications to the cross were done.

I've seen some official modifications - when swords were removed. You can see example of such change in my post #29 in this same thread with green St Alexander 1 class: the swords on top were removed from the star, remains of the place where swords were attached is visible.

Edited by new world

What is the size of the Star?

Did you buy it recently, because if it is the same Star , the dealer told me it is 84 mm

My star is 92mm.

I think I know which star you are referring to, I saw it and there were some questions... It looked more like modified 2nd class star.

Hi New World.

Thanks. ..then Congrats!

Yes you are right If the size was 84 with features of Grand Cross Star - it was modified.

i am afraid whether my 2-nd Class was not modified to increase the value in a later stage.??!!

This Cross was a part of a Set sold by a not quite honest Dealer from Bulgaria He sells Originals..however he sells also a lot of "modified' items to unsuspected buyers.Then the Set was split up and sold as two pieces. Now the Breast Star is for sale by eMedals for $3800 It is wrongly named Grand Cross Star - it is actually 2-nd Class. I keep a small archive of most of the Bulgarian Orders that have been on the market recently and i can compare items later on

I do not know what is the problem with the fakes of Bulgarian Orders, however i am afraid,since the interest for them has increased recently, the fakes will start coming on the market