News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris - I hope you won't mind me posting two items of British Trench Art - afterall, it was the same War and both sides made some really attractive items.

Trench art as we know it, really started in the Boer War (1899-1902) when the troops were static for long periods. I think it was the boredom of the trenches that got men to make things.

These two small items were made quite separately and in different places - but, both make use of exactly the same materials. Shows how effective 'word of mouth' can be.

They are petrol lighters and make use of a large nut - weld overcoat buttons on both sides and you have the body. Add a wick - with a little brass cover against rain - and a wheel and flint - and you're in business.

I have always suspected that the Base Workshops were used to make them - and they were probably sold onto the troops.

Hello Chris,

Great idea for a post. Please allow me to post a few images of a rather interesting Taube ("Dove") Monoplane.

Sir Mervyn,

Jolly good trench Lighter of the Royal Engineers! Artifacts such as these are historic in their own right.

Kind regards,

Erickn

Wow Chris! These are very creative and very attractive. In post #12, the corner cartridges appear to have been intended to hold candles. The cigar Cutter is a scream. Three very unique and useful artifacts. Thanks for sharing!

E.