News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oak leaf clasp to St George cross?

TacHel

I found the clasp below for sale on a Russian auction site. It is advertised as a copy. According to the seller, the picture of the cross with the clasp at right is supposedly from a book. The seller cites an August 19, 1917 decree approving this clasp for wear by officers on their St George crosses to differentiate them from ordinary soldiers.

Can anybody confirm such a clasp really existed? This is a first for me...

Below is another picture from the seller showing the clasp for sale on a cross.

The clasp definitely existed and it is referenced in a number of Russian language books that cover the St.George awards; for example, Durov's The Orders of Russia [1993] refers to it as a "metal laurel branch" and the award as "a soldier's cross with a 'bough'" for officers but does not show one. Durov's later book Russian Awards Weapon [1994] does show a color picture of one on page127.

I've never seen an actual example of a clasp other than in books or in museum displays in Russia...

Regards.