News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bonjour,

Research info on Major a.D. Maximilian Ritter von Zottmann,

(* 27 September 1882)

(+ 17 January 1966)

Ritterkreuz MMJO : 9 april 1917.

Affected in Königlich Bayerische 1. IR "König".

Crdl

Thierry

Edited by Thierry

Hello Thierry:

based on "VITTUTI PRO PATRIA Der koeniglich bayrische Militaer-Max_Joseph_Orden, Kriegstaten und Ehrenbuch 1914 -1918 " published by the Order in Munich, 1966: Gen.Maj. d.Schutzpolizei a.D. was the son of Gen.Lt. Max Zottmann and Agathe , nee Fleischhauer.

Entry as Faehnrich on 14.July 1902 into 2.I.R. ; Lt. on 12.March 1904 and transferred to 4.I.R. in Metz. and on 1.October 1910 assigned to 1.I.R. in Munch.

Married on 18. October 1911 to Christiane, nee Honold. One son.

Oberlt. on 7.March 1912 in 1.I.R. Adj. of Bezirks Kommandos II, Munch. 9.August 1915 Hptm. and Battalion Commander in R.I.R. 1. Discharged on 11.Oct.1920 with rank as characterlicher Major.

Combats 1914 in Lorraine in front of Nancy-Epinal, Position warfare in the central Vosge Mountains into 1915 and 1916 Battle of Verdun and on the Aisne River.

1917 on the Somme, in Flanders, in the Artois area, Spring Battle in Arras Area. Position Warfare near La Basseee, near Zandvoorde, Dixmuiden. Admitted to the Order of the M.M.J.O. on 9.April 1917.

1918 Battle near Armentieres, here severely wounded..

As of February 1919 to 8.October 1922 v.Zottman was Wehramtmann ( Defenseofficial) in the government of Oberpfalz and Regensburg.In several positions of Statepolice, promoted to Major 1. June 1923 and 1.February 1932 Oberstleutnant followed to Oberst on 1. May 1933.

Retired on 1.November 1934 when he reached the age limit.

WW II: On 26.Aug. 1939 as Major commander of I./E.R. 212 then in Wehrersatz-Inspektion VII Munch. He then transferred to the police forces. Promoted to Oberst d. Schutzpolizei on 22.Jan. 1939 in Munich. 1.Dec.1939 transferred to the Ministry of the Interior, Main Office Ordnungspolizei in Berlin in charge of the Rangliste of the German Police. On 1.Dec. 1941 Befehlshaber der Ornungspolizei der Westmark and Lorraine.

On 3.Mar.1943 Inpector of the Unkrainian Schutzmanschaft on the staff of Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei Ukraine. Promoted to Gen.Maj. der Schutzpolizei on 1.Apr.1943 remaining in his assignment. Discharged from active service on 31.Dec.1943.

Prisoner of War of the U.S.Forces in Upper Bavaria from 1945 to 1947. Ritter v. Zottmann died on 17.Jan.1966 in Herrsching on the Ammer Lake.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bonjour,

Thanks all for infos.

Do you have a complet list of awards ?

Crdl

Thierry

Hello Thierry.

The only source for additional information concerning Ritter v. Zottman's military awards could be a reference book to the Generals of the German Police to 1945. I am only aware of reference books of those Police Generals who also held rank in the Waffen-SS.

Bernhard H. Holst