News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photos of colonial soldiers or veterans

Hello,

I would like to know if here are some photo-collectors of colonial-soldiers or -veterans. I would be very thankful if someone would post his colonial treasuries.

I will start with Sergeant Albin Keßler. He received his MEZ II for his actions against the Hottentotten

and a photo of Hptm Clausnitzer. He took part on the Boxer-rebelion and later on the Herero-rebelion. For his action in German-Southwestafrica (1904-08) received Clausnitzer the Crown-order 4th class with swords.

Hope to see some other nice colonial photos

Best wishes

Karsten

Hello,

at first thanks for posting those nice pictures. I like especially the first one of Ulsterman. Could we see a close-up of that interesting medal bar? It seems that he also received the württembergische silberne Militärverdienstmedaille, which is rare to see on medal bars.

The last picture of Thomas W is also interesting. Can you identify the decorations on the big medal bar?

Here is the next one of my collection:

Sergeant Carl Mohr with the following decorations

MEZ II

Braunschweig: Verdienstkreuz 2nd class with swords

German-Southwestafrica-medal with two battle clasps (Hereroland and Gross-Namaland)

Best wishes

Karsten

Hello,

at first thanks for posting those close-ups.

The Vzfw. of our user Ulsterman seems to wear:

MEZII; silb. württ. MVM and perhaps two "colonial-medals" (probably china- and southwest- medal or colonial- and southwest-medal) with battle clasps

The veteran with his big medal bar of our user Thomas W is unfortunately not to identify.

The first decoration can only be the MEZ or the Iron Cross 2nd class and the other decorations are unfortunately so unclear. The thrid or fourth ribbon could be a colonial medal but which one?? I can only recognize three battle clasps, sorry.

@Odulf

thanks for posting those nice and very interesting pictures. I like especially the 2nd and 3rd one. The 2nd one seems to be a member of the cavalery and the 3rd one a member of the artillery. Pictures of these branch of service are not often to see. Also nice to see the equipement of the artillery-man.

In my collection I have found one picture which were taken on the same day and location like yours one. But my guy seems to be an infantery-man.

Best wishes

Karsten

I hope to see some more colonial photos or did I win all colonial photo auctions ;)

Here another pic of Hptm Paul Walter Sievert

He received the prussian and saxon decorations for his actions in German-Southwestafrica

Best wishes

Karsten

All right, here is uncle August Bause, wearing the field uniform of a lieutenant of an Infantry Regiment, with the Colonial Badge (1936) and the Wounded Badge in Black. The 3rd ribbon in the bar, after the EK2 and Hindenburg Cross, is the Colonial Medal.

6yma7l.jpg

2dbl72x.jpg

Hello Odulf,

very nice pic but I think that he´s wearing:

Iron Cross 2nd, FEK, something austrian, and WH-DA

The colonial badge indicates him as a colonialfighter during WW1

Best wishes

Karsten

Would he be wearing an Austrian war decoration before the two (?) blue ribbons of the Dienstauszeichnung?

It was for sure against the norms of wearing decorations on the medal bar but some soldiers ignorate that norms.

Furthermore is the third decoration not similar to the colonial- or Southwestafrica-medal. For the Southwestafrica-medal the stripes are too long. Here some examples of my collection.

Hope you see the differences.

At first an example for the Colonial-medal

Best wishes

Karsten

Edited by Leutwein

OK Karsten, I see your point. I said Colonial Medal but I meant the SW Africa Medal, but this latter has two significant black vertical stripes which are not (clearly) visible in the ribbon bar of the lieutenant. That leaves me with the question, what ribbon do we see?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting that nice picture.

Here another nice pic of a member of the 3rd Seebataillon. Seems to be a member of the Marine-Feldbatterie.

I found some informations to your guy August Bause.

During WW1 he fought in German-Eastafrica. His rank was Sanitäts-Vizefeldwebel and he came aboriginal from Alfeld/ Hannover. Since 19th July 1916 he was a prisoner of war and came to the following british camps:

Nairobi (1916)

Daressalam (1918)

August Bause was a member of the kaiserlichen Schutztruppe since 1910 (started as a Sanitätsunteroffizier)

Best wishes

Karsten