News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown volunteers medal.

Dolfek

Hello,

I´ve been offered this medal, but I´ve never seen it before. It seems to be an unofficial WW1 volunteers medal. The reverse is plain. That´s all I have, a single picture.

Anyone knows what this medal is for, and how much would it costs?, or should I offer?

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards,

Dolfek.

French Commemorative Medal Engage Volontaire-Patrie WWI

Check this site: http://www.worthpoin...lontaire-patrie

French Commemorative Medal Engage Volontaire-Patrie WWI Médaille Commémorative Française 1914-1918 - Awarded to all members of the French Armed Forces who saw service between 2 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Instituted on 23 June 1920, it could also be conferred on members of the Merchant Navy, medical personnel, local authorities, police of fire brigades of bombed cities etc. Before the Cross for Volunteer Combatants was instituted, a bar "Engagé Volontaire" could be worn on the ribbon. DIAMETER: 27 mm

Edited by speagle

Thanks very much for your help and information.

It looks alike, but has different design The one I posted doesn´t have the word "patrie".

The Cross for WW1 Volunteer Combatants was created in the early 1950´s if I well remember, together with the WW2 and resistance volunteer medals.

The Commemorative Medal of the War of 1914 - 1918 was instituted 23rd June 1920, the same day as the medal in question in this topic. And a bar was issued for volunteers.

So there are two medals (one of them only a bar) created the same day to denote volunteer service?

I still think it must be some kind of unofficial medal, as I´ve never seen it before on any medal group.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Dolfek.

I´ve found a perfect explanation for the medal, it´s an unofficial award. Take a look at this web "omsa.org". Full details are given.

http://www.omsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=283&sid=2a00339b4e5d7bfba085c5d04dd4e2e9

I still don´t know the average price, so if someone knows it, please, let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,

Dolfek.

Exactly! presenting the medals are different in the designer and the type of suspension. Besides the fact that there is nothing written on the obverse of this medal.

This is one of the many variants (unofficial) Medal of volunteers

Note this same type of suspension in this group Mini.

In French: Médaille d'Engage volontaire

lambert

FRM418a.jpgFRM418e.jpg

4dmwchj.jpg

4bri8hv.jpg

Thanks very much. Nice collection you have. So the medal in the mini group you have there, is for WW2 volunteers, aswell as for WW1? So, it´s some kind of medal in use until the creation of the official volunteers medals from both World Wars. :unsure:

Thanks a lot for sharing your collection.

Best regards,

Dolfek.