News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Finnish medals

AOK4

• 1 month later...

Lovely collection... I spoted your 27 Jaeger badge. Can I see more of that one?

These are my medals related to Finland 1918. I collect a bit of everything (medals, pics, docs, ...) relating to Finland 1918.

Of course.

This is a close up of the front.

You see the iron cross shape, referring to the unit being a German unit and the "27" made out of two 7's since the stock of 2's was completely sold out when the unit was officially named Jäger-Bataillon 27. This problem was then solved by using a reversed 7 as a 2 on the shoulder boards etc.

The badge was drawn by Mrs. Ellinor Ivalo.

App. 1800 pieces were awarded, also to a few Germans who had been connected to the Battalion, mostly as training officers etc.

They pop up every now and then on the market, even though most of them are kept in (semi-)official museums and within the families.

View of the back with screwback. Originally, the badges were made with 4 needles. Since that system didn't work very well, most of the badges were later changed into or made with screwbacks or pins.

Unfortunately no number on the back.

Another view of the back with the silver hallmarks.

W.P. stands for the jeweller Pettersson from Turku (Abo) who made most of the early pieces.

O5 stands for 1919, the year in which this badge was made.

• 1 month later...