Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross For Distinction in War "Für Tapferkeit" 1914 First Class

I can't remember the last time I saw this rare cross come up for sale, but this appears to be genuine. Note the star mark on the pin. Does the star mark http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2011/post-12533-0-22509700-1316301241.pnghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2011/post-12533-0-91196800-1316301253.pngserve a similar purpose to the wartime issued KuK decorations, or does it have another significance?

http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390347434075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1096

UPDATE: I have written the eBay seller about his cross a few times now. He keeps sidestepping the issue of his use of the word "Original" and is reluctant to give a straight answer about whether he thinks it was made during the war (in light of the star mark on the pin.) Not sure what to think about his tepid and evasive responses about his rare cross. (???) Comments?

Edited by garfordhouse

• 3 weeks later...

1580 euros. yup!

It's not going cheaply, but I think it's one worth bidding on.

Posting the link to the auction guarentees the price will rise....

I will reveal that I was one of the bidders on this cross... the second highest bidder! I just received a Second Chance Offer from the seller stating that the high bidder returned the cross without explanation.

Hmmm... what to think about the reason for this?? I think Eric Stahlhut is right: does anybody really know if this kind of thing is real or not!

There are several variations of this award. This is a list from the German OEK price guide with average prices realized:

1. OEK. 1410. Fuer Tapferkeit: 1914. Silver. Euro. 1500.-- (2nd.Cl.)

2. OEK. 1411. 1st.Class in silver, no date. Tapfer und Treu. Euro. 260.--

3. OEK. 1412. 2nd. Class. Tapfer und Treu ; 1914. Silver. Euro. 100.--

4. OEK. 1413. 2nd. Class for Royalty & Princely Officers. Fuer Tapferkeit: 1914. Silver. Euro 1900.--

5. OEK. 1413/1. same but issued 1916-18 in copper or bronze silverplated. Euro 1500.--

6. OEK. 1414. 1st.Class. Fuer tapferkeit 1917-18. Copper silverplated. Euro 325.--

There is also a smaller size awarded to women.

I cannot tell if the example on Ebay is silver or silverplate, but I have a feeling it is plated. There is also differences of opinion on the star mark on the pin. Some say it is an export mark, others say it is an Austrian mark for gilded or silvered bronze pieces.

Edited by garfordhouse

• 3 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by Triadoro, November 2, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Triadoro, November 2, 2011 - No reason given

Update: Buyer #3 has returned this cross to the seller for unknown reasons and he has offered it to me again for half of the original hammer price. The seller seems to have gone through all of his second chance offer options with the bidders so he has relisted on Ebay at a starting price of 699 Euros. Not sure why the item has been rejected so many times by buyers who have held it in their hand, but I would like to hear an opinion from a Meckl-Strelitz expert about this cross.