News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Algeria Order of Precedence

Megan

I am having difficulty finding out about current Algerian ODM, or sorting out the order of precedence for those I have found out about. Anyone able to help?

So far my very tentative version is:

National Order of Merit

Medal for Martyrs of the War of National Liberation

Medal for the Gravely Wounded, Invalids of War

Medal of the Army of National Liberation

Medal of the Resistance

Medal of the Friends of the Algerian Revolution

Medal for Veterans of the Revolution

Medal of Military Merit

Medal of Honour

Medal of the National People's Army

Medal of the Wounded with Army Citation

Medal of the Wounded

Even pictures of Algerians wearing medals are rare, here's one that I have found:

Suggestions for improvements, or other ODM to add, would be appreciated.

Edited by Megan

From left to right :

Military Medal

Medal of the Friends of the Algerian Revolution (ribbon exist with central emboidered gold star & without gold star)

National People's Army = Long Service Medal (medal with 1 V = 15 Years of Service,medal with 2 V = 25 Years of Service)

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Algeria : ALN Medal or Army National Liberation Medal in english (law 84-03 of 2 January 1984). Awarded to those who fought for the Liberation during the war against France.

Lots of others such medals I have seen were not numbered,but on mine it is stamped number,so I guess the first batch were issued numbered.

These medals were manufactured in Germany by Bender (their name is on reverse).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Algeria : Medal of the Resistance (Law 84-03 of 2 January 1984). Awarded for members of the civil resistance.

It is not possible someone got awarded both Resistance Medal & Army National Liberation Medal.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Algeria : Medal of the Friends of the Algerian Revolution (Law 87-13 of 30 June 1987). Awarded to foreigner who supported the algerian revolution.

It seems it's a 2 classes medal,as specimen have been seen with emboidered gold star on ribbon.

It also seems that several algerian were awarded it,so maybe the the 2nd Class (without gold star on ribbon) is for foreigner & the 1st Class with gold star is for algerian citizen.But I have no proof (only a guess). From Algeria we lack of information much.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Algeria : National People's Army Medal (Law 86-04 of 11 February 1986).The shape of the badge was set by decree 87-177 of 18 August 1987.

This medal exist in bronze,silver & gold.

Medal without V device on ribbon are for civil who work for the defense.

Actually it's a Long Service award. The medal with 1 V is for 15 years of service & the medal with 2 V is for 25 years of service.

But it is said that the promotion to 2nd V is not automatic.

Emmanuel

Algeria : Medal of Military Merit (Law 81-06 of 6 June 1981 & modified by Law 90-28 of 24 November 1990).

This Military medal is to be awarded to Officers & N.C.O. who distinguished themselve by their skills and during their duty after 20 years of service.

The medal can be awarded after 15 years if the awardee has been also awarded the Wounded Medal.

It's interesting to watch how this medal is made (the frame with inscription on obverse is a separate part).

Emmanuel

Algeria : Medal of Wounded (Law 90-27 of 24 November 1990).

The Medal of Wounded with citation is similar and awarded if the wound is done in a situation of war or civil uprising while the person who is awarded the medal is on his duty.

Emmanuel

Algeria : Medal of the Martyr of the War of National Liberation (Law 84-03 of 2 January 1984).

It's only a posthumous award for gloryfying the memory of those who gave their life for the Independence.

It's a 100 millimeters medal. There is supposed to be an award number on reverse side alongside the date 1954-1962.

Emmanuel

Ooh, magic, both of you!! Many thanks.

I have been delving as well since I made the initial post.

In a law of 2 January 1984, a set of 4 medals relating to the war for independence was instituted. They are known collectively as Les médailles des Moudjahidine (Medals of the Mujahedeen) and between them mark the various contributions individual Algerians made. The first is the Medal for Martyrs of the War of Liberation (Médaille de martyr de la guerre de libération nationale) which is indeed a table medal given in commemoration of those who lost their lives. It is 100mm in diameter. The obverse depicts a crescent and star within an ornamental frame and a ring of thirty-two sword rays surrounded by a text from the Holy Qur'an. The reverse shows the dates 1954-1962 and a serial number.

Next is the Medal for the Gravely Wounded, Invalids of War (Médaille de grand blessé, mutilé de guerre). As you can imagine, that's awarded to anyone seriously injured during the struggle for independence.

There are also 2 'service' medals, awarded depending on how the individual served: the Medal of the Army of National Liberation and the Medal of the Resistance, and as Emmanuel says, you couldn't receive both.

The Friends of the Algerian Revolution Medal came later, being instituted on 30 June 1987 and being awarded to foreigners who supported the struggle for independence either materially or by speaking out in support. However, it appears to have had a half white, half green ribbon with white edges.

The half green, half red ribbon with or without star seems to be the Medal of Honour, instituted 24 November 1990 and awarded for 25 years' service to the state. The star indicates service in the armed forces, and the version without star is awarded for civilian service.

The Medal of the Wounded with Citation has a different ribbon, white with 2 narrow red edge stripes and a star, otherwise the actual medal is the same.

The research continues... :)

In a rather successful burst of Google-fu, I have found the 1 June 1991 issue of the JOURNAL OFFICIEL DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE ALGERIENNE :)

This has details of the Médaille de blessé sans citation as depicted in Emmanuel's post above, and some other medals as well. Now to sit down & translate it...

But got distracted by a further burst of Google-fu, here's the Algerian website with ALL their official stuff: http://www.joradp.dz/

Edited by Megan

• 3 weeks later...

It is one I haven't seen before, Richard - I was working from my translations of the relevant laws which describe the design of the medals - is there any chance you'd be willing to permit me to use that picture on my site?

• 8 months later...

Algeria : Medal of the Friends of the Algerian Revolution (Law 87-13 of 30 June 1987). Awarded to foreigner who supported the algerian revolution.

It seems it's a 2 classes medal,as specimen have been seen with emboidered gold star on ribbon.

It also seems that several algerian were awarded it,so maybe the the 2nd Class (without gold star on ribbon) is for foreigner & the 1st Class with gold star is for algerian citizen.But I have no proof (only a guess). From Algeria we lack of information much.

Emmanuel

1st cl

395316_343787772328527_2039385631_n.jpg

• 9 months later...

Here is a better image of the Medal for Martyrs of the War of National Liberation

(Médaille de martyr de la guerre de libération nationale).

Instituted on 2 January 1984 it is for those who lost their lives.

The obverse depicts a crescent and star within an ornamental frame and a ring of thirty-two sword rays, surrounded by a text from the Holy Quran. The reverse is blank.