News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Had my estimate for copying the service records for our awardee from the National Archives today - a whole 94 of our new pence - blimey the postage is more than that. What am I gonna get a complimentary slip? :)

Had my estimate for copying the service records for our awardee from the National Archives today - a whole 94 of our new pence - blimey the postage is more than that. What am I gonna get a complimentary slip? :)

So...for people like me...9 S./4 ? ;)

Nothing from the National Archive as yet - maybe next week. I've now been looking through some medal catalogues etc and have noticed that the Waterloo medals have a wider ribbon than the GSM but are of the same colours - could this be a Waterloo ribbon on a GSM?

Have now purchased a couple of books on the Peninsular Wars, one showing all the regiment's uniforms and another atlas showing all battles in the war (including the Spanish and Portugese). Will be visiting the 39th Devonshire museum to see what they have and Dorchester Abbey to take some pictures of the 39th Foot colours that I've discovered are hanging there.

Will be trying to locate some 39th Foot militaria (doesn't seem like there's much of this about) to go with the medal. Any advice on where I may obtain this would be helpful?

This is a bit frustrating, found this for sale today. 1800 Brown Bess stamped with our Awardee's Battalion and Regiment. Oh my heart strings.....sometimes I hate this hobby

Edited by Spasm

Mervyn

I'm still thinking it over. As I allow the time to pass, the excitement, want and need are slowly easing. As much as I want it, I can't really justify the cost, although there is a layaway plan that I may just convince myself to take advantage of. I'm sort of hoping it'll sell soon so that I can kick myself for not snapping it up. Damn, damn, damn.

Spaz

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Gents

Gave in on the information from relatives and paid the fees to join the Ancestry site. I can now confirm the links back through the family tree to our awardee. Hooray. And, of course, the relatives were correct in what they were saying.

I've now got to get some time off of work to go looking at Parish records and Churches around Somerset. I'll also visit Sherborne Abbey to have a look at, and photograph, the Regimental Colours along with a visit to the Regimental Museum in Dorchester to see if they have anything interesting.

An online picture of the Colours inside Sherborne Abbey:

• 2 months later...

Bit more news on our distant relative and awardee, Simon Fuzzey.

The Regiment's museum is only open in the summer months so planning a visit down to Sherborne Abbey and Dorchester in March.

Having found from Census records that Simon lived in North Curry in Somerset with his wife Sarah for 40 years I contacted the local archive there (looked after by two very nice ladies over the village's coffee shop - they sell marmalade, cakes and jam at the village town hall every week to raise money for it's upkeep). We're off to visit the archive and to meet them in a couple of weeks to have a look at what they have.

Both Simon and Sarah are buried in the local Churchyard. One of the Church's records show that Simon was paid 6 shillings for removing crows nests from that very cemetery and lists him as being a Waterloo veteran (although he's not listed on the medal roll) and the Census lists him as a "Chelsea Pensioner." His discharge papers (above) show that he left the army in 1821.

Amazingly, we've managed to find a photograph of Simon's sister and her family outside their home and have located the house which is still there! I'll post the pictures of new and old when we've been to have a look see. (I may even knock on the door to say hello to the present day owners and give them a copy of the photo).

I'll keep ya'll updated on how it goes and post anything interesting that the archive may have.

Cheers All, Spaz.

• 1 month later...

Went out last weekend to North Curry to follow Simon's footprints.

North Curry sits on a finger of low hill that points into the Somerset levels. A network of rivers and rhynes form moors on either side. We spent the morning in the attic above the coffee shop, with the nice ladies who run North Curry Archives.

In 1842, Simon Fuzzey married North Curry girl Sarah Parks and they spent the rest of their lives in the village. Census data shows Simon and Sarah living in at least three different properties during their time in the village so using photos, local knowledge and a hefty dose of best-guessing we think we managed to track down one of their houses.

The photo is a view west down Stoke Road. The large double-fronted building in the foreground used to be the Angel Inn. In 1861, the cream house next door belonged to the Gillards, Simon's house must have been the first brick one past that. Looks like it has just been sold.

Posted · Hidden by Spasm, March 2, 2012 - No reason given
    Hidden by Spasm, March 2, 2012 - No reason given

Here’s another photo of the same road, this time facing east. Simon’s house is now on the left, this side of the green verandah.

Here’s another photo of the same road, this time facing east. Simon’s house is now on the left, this side of the green verandah.

Edited by Spasm

Records show that Simon and Sarah Fuzzey were both buried in the cemetery of North Curry’s parish church - St Peter & St Paul. Unfortunately there are no associated gravestones.

North Curry parish church is also known as The Cathedral of the Moors, not to be confused with other cathedrals of the moors such as those at Yatton (also Somerset), Altarnun (Cornwall), or Widecombe-in-the-Moor (Devon).

According to English Heritage, the lower stages of the tower, transepts and nave were built in about 1300, on the site of an earlier Norman church. The upper level was built around a hundred years later, when the roofs of the nave and aisles were raised to make way for larger windows. It is now a Grade I listed building.

We visited on a Sunday afternoon and the service had finished so the place was empty.

Here’s a panoramic view of the front grounds, created by stitching three photos together. (This accounts for the oddly-shaped shadow in the foreground, which is actually the roof of the lychgate.)

NOTE: I've just been told off for lifting this from her website when I should have made a link - here is the link:

http://skywolf.co.uk/2012/02/north-curry-parish-church/

(ooops sorry my love) :blush:

Edited by Spasm

A picture of the inside of the church looking down towards the altar.. where Simon and Sarah were married.

(Got told off for this one as well)

Edited by Spasm

Details from one of the windows

(this one is ok as I found them on her camera rather than nicking them off of her website - phew)

Edited by Spasm

• 2 weeks later...

Spent today visiting Sherborne Abbey to find our awardee's colours.

What a great little town - full of little shops selling those gold sticks wives like to keep in little glass jars and estate agents. worth a look around if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

Here's a shot of the inside of the Abbey

The colours were there, but a bit worse for wear than I thought they'd be.

Both the 54th Foot and our Awardee's 39th Foot are displayed. Both of these Regiments became 2nd Btn and 1st Btn Dorsetshire Regiment.

Edited by Spasm