News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Had another day out today, went down to Dorchester to the Keep. The military museum for the Dorsetshire Regiment - originally the 54th, 11th and our Hero's 39th Regiments of Foot.

If you are anywhere near go have a look round, loads of stuff to see and very helpful people there to ask the odd one or a hundred questions of.

Me displaying us (nobody noticed, I think I need a bigger one :P )

I took along Simon's GSM to show them. They then opened a drawer to show me what they had :speechless1:

60 Peninsular GSMs and 20 Waterloo Medals in one drawer alone! Just staggering.

• 3 months later...
    • 9 months later...

Just to add to this thread, The Colours of The Dorsetshire Regiment were recently taken down so we could do some restoration work and have the wall re-limed in preparation for later this year. The regiment has until now had three chapels, The Devonshire Regimental Chapel and The Devonshire and Dorset Regimental chapel both in Exeter Cathedral and The Dorset Regimental chapel at Sherborne Abbey. Exeter cathedral wanted to re-dedicate the Chapel of St James ( The Devonshire and Dorset Chapel) as a tri-service chapel now that the regiment has amagameted. We have taken a decision to remove our Colours from this chapel and have the Devonshire Regiments chapel re-dedicated as The Devonshire Reggiment and Devonshire and Dorset Regimental Chapel and to have the chapel in Sherborne re-dedicated as The Dorset Regiment and Devonshire and Dorset Regimental Chapel. The four stands of colours of the 1st and 4th Battalions The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment will be split between the two chapels, for the first time giving Dorset members of the regimental family a place to honour our fallen within their own county. The re-dedication in Exeter will take place in May this year at the same time as the regimental re-union, and in Sherborne later this year. The Dorset Regiments colours were indeed in a fragile state, they have been cleaned and stabalised, mostly made of silk they are slowly decomposing in sunlight, in a way sad but also in a way fitting, even our newer stands of colours from 1960 (1 D and D ) are starting to show the adverse effects of sunlight. On the wall near the colours is a poem we in the regiment beleive fitting for our colours.

A moth-eaten rag
    On a worm-eaten pole,
    It doesn't seem much
    To stir a man's soul

'Tis the deeds that were done
    'Neath the moth-eaten rag
    When the pole was a Staff
    And the rag was a Flag.

Semper Fidelis

Marabout

Thanks for all of that. How great that these things are still in people's thoughts.

I'm still doing a lot of digging around to get a bit of their history together so that I can spend a couple of weeks in the 39th's footsteps and travel their paths in the Peninsula. Take lots of photos and write something up based on their travels. I'll never be able to get the Canada and US bits in while Simon Fussy was with them but I'll get the majority. May even do some big impressive artwork stuff to bring it alive.

Is there any chance you can let us know some dates and whether it would be ok to attend these ceremonies. Here's the webpage of the film of the ceremony when they were hung in the 1920s (I think) in Sherbourne http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-old-39th-cuts/query/Abbey and it would be great to see a similar event now.

Fantastic, thankyou

Spaz

Marabout - welcome to GMIC and thankyou for an interesting thread to Spaz's post. The info. that he has found is quite remarkable

- a lot of hard work and dedication. Since I live in Dorset I have always had an interest in the Dorset's and in Dorchester. Mervyn

All

Just had a look through this again and noticed that none of the links to family tree stuff work anymore. Sorry, she's building me a webpage to sell my stuff on so it'll only take you there (nothing on yet, still a work in progress). I've obviously insisted on a link to this forum.

Mervyn, thanks for the praise but still an awful lot to do to get a fuller picture. I'm pretty sure of our Hero's travels now, I'll get it all together at some point and mark up a few maps. I need to get that done before I book some travelling but still need to get some more details of the actual battles themselves. I also need to visit Kew to get muster roles etc.

Spaz

I f you are to follow the regiment through Spain then you should contact Major (retd) Tim Saunders. Tim is a former company commander of the 1st battalion and now writer of military history. Last year he ran a joint expidition to the regiments Penninsular war sites along with Sandhurst, the Spanish Army and a group of historians, what he doesnt know about the period and the sites isnt worth knowning. To contact him first contact RHQ at Exeter on 01392 492436 and speak to a Major (retd) Don Jellard. If you explain to Don your reasons for wanting to contact Tim He should pass your details onto Tim.

Marabout

Thanks for all of that. How great that these things are still in people's thoughts.

I'm still doing a lot of digging around to get a bit of their history together so that I can spend a couple of weeks in the 39th's footsteps and travel their paths in the Peninsula. Take lots of photos and write something up based on their travels. I'll never be able to get the Canada and US bits in while Simon Fussy was with them but I'll get the majority. May even do some big impressive artwork stuff to bring it alive.

Is there any chance you can let us know some dates and whether it would be ok to attend these ceremonies. Here's the webpage of the film of the ceremony when they were hung in the 1920s (I think) in Sherbourne http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-old-39th-cuts/query/Abbey and it would be great to see a similar event now.

Fantastic, thankyou

Spaz

Thank you Mervyn, I am a former officer of the regiment, and after amalgamation The Rifles. I am now a retired Lt Col and run two CCF units in Hampshire and a living history group comprised of ex-members of the regiment who want to keep the regiment 'alive and in the public eye'. Both the Devons and the Dorsets have been my families regiments for generations so as you can imagine I am intrested in anything from our past.

Marabout - welcome to GMIC and thankyou for an interesting thread to Spaz's post. The info. that he has found is quite remarkable

- a lot of hard work and dedication. Since I live in Dorset I have always had an interest in the Dorset's and in Dorchester. Mervyn

Marabout

Thanks for the info. I've now found Tim's various websites and contacts and we'll see from here.

Never really spoken with a Major before, more used to Corporals and Staffs at the extreme, I'd best shine me trainers up.

Spaz

Tim Saunders is a very approachable man and a mine of information on regimental history, especially the obscure stuff. The regimental re-union and redidication of the regimental chapels in Exeter will happen on the 18th of may, it will be an occasion with restricted access, so if you are intrested in going contact Major Don Jellard at RHQ on the number above to obtain tickets.

Unfortunately I think you'll find the re-dedication of the chapel and the re-laying of our colours a rather mundane affair.We will have the band of the Rifles, and a small Guard from 6th Rifles (formely 4th Battalion The Devonshires and Dorset Regiment) but the main participation will be by former members of the regiment now retired and members of the Regimental Association. It will not be a large formal parade, nor will it be a long service, and given the size of the old Devonshire regiments chapel , rather cramped. But if you have a connection to the regiment you will still find it intresting.

On the amalgamation we at first thought it would be the end of the regiment, but time has proved this not to be the case. Two of the seven battalions are direct decendants of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment ( 1st Bn The Rifles, formerly 1 D and D, and 6th Bn The Rifles formerly 4 D and D ), being the senior regiment of the Line ( The 11th of foot being one of our anticedent Regiments) The Rifles march to our bugle calls and wear our Croix de Guerre on both arms. We lost our magificent bands and the Colours ( the heart of the regiment ) were laid up, The Rifles wear our joint battle honours on the belt buckle, so no need for colours!. On amalgamtion 5 of the 7 commanding officers were Devon and Dorsets, so not so much an amalgamation but more a take over. Currently my cousin commands our 7th battalion, so still very much a family Regiment.

Marabout

Fantastic, thankyou

Spaz

Marabout : Look at the first post under Badges (the next Forum). I have brought back from an earlier post a very interesting page

on the Dorset's. Leigh is sadly not with the Forum now due to family commitments - however, he found some really amazing things -

including the early muster roll. Strangely enough we found my surname amongst those listed. Not sure who he was - we are a

Shropshire family. Best wishes Mervyn