News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The portrait of an MMThO Knight

Elmar Lang

Hello,

I would like to ask the help from the colleagues in this room, in order to identify the gentleman, depicted in this portrait.

As we can see, he is wearing the Knight's Cross of the MMThO, the Kanonenkreuz and the insignia of the Military Karl-Friedrich Order of Baden.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Elmar Lang

There is a complete list of all MMTHO winners to be found here

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/mmtoind.htm

with that and the timeframe you have ( I would say roughly between 1790 and 1820) you would have some digging to do, you could also compare the namelist with the recipients of the Baden Order (to be found in the online Baden Staatshandbbücher I am sure). Crossreference them and you will have your answer.

regards

David

Dear David,

thank you very much for your precious information.

Actually, I have the complete Hirtenfeld (in .pdf), the Lukes and Bardolff, although the list given in the austro-hungarian-army webpage is very useful.

Being quite "old-fashioned", I've simply tried to search through the lists of the Baden Order given in the Gottschalck, with no results, besides a Feldmarschalleutnant who didn't receive the MMThO. I am sure that G.'s list is incomplete.

I will search the Baden Staatshandbücher and try a more accurate research. By the way, are the Staatshandbücher available on Google Books?

Best wishes,

Enzo (Elmar Lang)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

just as a matter of interest, I would like to inform that a friend of mine who saw the portrait, after a patient research through his collection of Imperial Austrian "schematisma", was able to identify the pictured officer.

He should be Generalmajor baron Joseph Weigel von Löwenarth.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Having found the name with a cross-research of the orders displayed on the portrait, it was also possible to know something more.

Feldmarschall-Lieutenant Joseph Weigl Frhr. von Löwenwarth served with distinction for 58 years in the Austrian Army, participated to more than 200 actions in front of the enemy, since the siège of Belgrade (as a Lieutenant in IR Kheul) under Marshal Laudon. He was also promoted to the rank of Major ("ausser seiner Tour") for war merits after the battle of Lonato (Italy), where he was also seriously wounded. His military "glory" reached its top during the 1814 campaign, at the surrounding of Besançon on 31st March-1st April, where under the eyes of Prinz Aloys Liechtenstein, Gen. Weigl displayed exceptional valour, leading his troops in a critical situation. With a "Handbillet" from Dijon, April 2nd, 1814, Emperor Franz I awarded him the Knight's Cross of the MMThO; some months later he received the title of Freiherr. Weigl died on 28th February, 1830 at the age of 83, while being Divisionär in Brescia. (notes from Hirtenfeld "Der Militär-Maria.Theresien-Orden und seine Mitglieder", Vienna, 1857, vol II, pages 1307-1308). He was still present in the "Militär-Schematismus des österreichischen Kaiserthumes" of 1830 as "Zweyter Inhaber" of Böhmisches Infanterie-Regiment 42.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Edited by Elmar Lang

Thank you for sharing this! As you may or may not know, the pre-imperial era is my favourite and I am especially touched by these kind of portraits and finding out who is on it. Again I think you have a great addition to your collection. What does you collection further contains?

regards

David

Hello,

thank you for your kind words.

My collection's main field is the orders and decorations of the austro-hungarian monarchy, from Maria Theresia to Karl I.

I don't have enough place for portraits and paintings, but this piece is interesting, especially after having found more details...

Best wishes,

Enzo (Elmar Lang)