News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish Officer approx 1912

This unknown soldier is not as Heavy decorated as GenMaj Cederskiöld but still a interesting photo I think

He is wearing the Dolma a uniform for Cavalery troops (Husar) and belonged to Västgöta Rgt in the West of Sweden

this Rgt was closed down in 1927 so the photo is probably around WW1 .

Christer

This unknown soldier is not as Heavy decorated as GenMaj Cederskiöld but still a interesting photo I think

He is wearing the Dolma a uniform for Cavalery troops (Husar) and belonged to Västgöta Rgt in the West of Sweden

this Rgt was closed down in 1927 so the photo is probably around WW1 .

Christer

Hello Christer!

This trooper wears the uniform of the Life Regiment Hussars, which I can assure you are still alive and kicking to this day! The Västgöta Regiment however was disbanded in 1927 (a former cavalry regiment that lost its horses in, I believe, 1811, serving as infantry during the last century or so of its existence). If the photo dates from around WW1 or later, it'll probably be a conscript, as the professional troopers / NCO's would by then have worn the grey m/1910, the older m/1895's would have been worn by conscripts, sometimes mixed m/1895 top and m/1910 bottom (I've seen a photo from as late as 1934 showing this mix).

/Jonas

Aha , Thanks Jonas I thought he was from Västgöta on account that the Photo was taken in that part of the country :blush:

I better make a note on the back for Life Rgt Hussar .

And the Swedish Rolls are super ! first names , awards .... like a dream ( and no sütterlin :cheeky: )

Have a nice weekend all !

Christer

Aha , Thanks Jonas I thought he was from Västgöta on account that the Photo was taken in that part of the country :blush:

Hello Christer!

No need to blush, Västgöta Regiment, Skaraborg Regiment and the hussars (in all incarnations from the Thirty Years' War forward) have all had companies/squadrons in that area (Vadsbo härad), the Skaraborg Regiment even had two - North and South Vadsbo companies.

That trooper may have originated from Mariestad having had the photo taken there, otherwise Skövde (where the hussars were garrisoned as of Oct 1st 1904) would have been more probable.

/Jonas