News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Figure out this? CIB to Surgical Technician

John F.

I was going thorough some old grouping and discovered this anomaly on a WWII Discharge Certificate. How was it possible for an Army Surgical Technician to be awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB)? The document is original and doesn’t appear to be tampered with. Were the regulation/criteria for the CIB different back in the 1940’s then they are today. Was the 3rd inf Div/15th Inf Regt in a tough situation and the commander said "Congratulations, you are no longer a surgical technician you are now an infantryman?" Your opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John F.

Note Block 4-- It says he was Infantry. Looks like he may have had Surgical Tech training and then later transferred to the Infantry. It's also a bit confusing, as it says he was discharged for Convenience of the Government for the purposes of enlistment in the Regular Army. Maybe he got the second MOS at that time. Doc

Doc may be on to something with Block 4 - his branch being INF. The discharge for C of G relates to his prior service in the Navy (see Block 39); perhaps Med Surge Tech was his Navy rate, but he was assigned to Infantry when he moved over to the Army.

Perhaps more odd to me is the entries in Blocks 23 and 24. In 23 he is noted as having a Purple Heart; however, in 24 it says "None" for wounds received in action. Odd.

I can tell you that the papertrail wasnot the best for American Army Units in WW2. My Great uncle has three separate papers all saying something different on them because he was in three different units during WW2. Long story, but strange things are possible. Remember Marine Gunnery SGT John "Manilla" Basilone. He was prior service Army in the Phillipines prior to becoming famous int he US Marine Corps. I also know of a Platoon Medic from Vietnam who was awarded both the Combat Medical Badge and Combat Infantry Badge. Stranger things have happened in the US Forces.

Hi Gents.

Thanks for the replies! At first I thought it may have been a simple error or oversight by the clerk typest who was banging these things out at the wars for I'm sure they had plenty to do, but I have to agree with IrishGunners remarks and think that it might have been a previous skill set he picked up in the Navy.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by John F.

The only problem with the thought that surgical technician was his previous Navy training is that MOS 861 is an ARMY MOS. I bet they would not have used this for previous Navy training. I still cannot explain this, but suspect it has something to do with his Army service. He may have been an 861 and then transferred to Infantry. But the form is not very clear on this issue. Doc