News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

VENETIAN GLASSWARE

Venetian glassware has been famous for many hundreds of years - there are a number of top companies - however,

the name that everyone knows is Murano.

I must be honest and say that I find it rather ornate for my taste - always lots of gold leaf and fanciful designs. That doesn't detract from the fact that it is very collectable - and highly sought after.

I am only showing this one decanter set today - hopefully, our members will be able to add pieces that have been in their families or, were brought back from trips to Italy years ago ?

This elaborate set of decanter and four goblets is probably fairly modern - with-in the last 40 years but, it is copying much earlier designs. Everything is hand made and decorated. The glass is Cranberry, the gold is usually 22ct.gold leaf and

all of the little flowers are made from paste and hand painted.

• 11 months later...

They (Italians) usually refer to this type of glass as "three fires". The first "fire" for the glass. The second "fire" is for the gold leaf (24 ct.). The third "fire" is for the little flowers. They have to work with these items for 3 times so the call them "3 fires". I have to admit that you have a very fine taste. These items have been usually sold as souvenir to all tourists with an uneducated eye. I do not intend to mortify these good items but these have been mainly produced for American buyers ( they have a different taste and as you know, cash is king...) I obviously respect their different taste.( :cheers: )There are a lot of different ways to work this particular glass (its composition is different form the one used in Czechoslovakia ( now Czech Republic, I am referring to Karlovy Vary). Venetian glass is a complicated world, with its fakes ( yesss, fakes...)

Best regards,

Aurora

Hi Aurora - thankyou for your comments. Taste is a very personal thing - although it is true to say that different Countries

can often have an affinity for certain styles and decoration. 22ct is sometimes used as it scratches a little less easily -

however, they do usually claim 24ct. Mervyn

I consider myself fortunate that my wife doesn't like any of this ornate (overly and austentatious in my humble opinion) Murano glass. We lived only about two hours from Venice for three years and we visited often - mainly for lunch! Even visited the island of Murano a couple times. Only thing she found attractive was the glass fruit and candies. We have a nice collection of those pieces; will have to find time to photograph those.

• 2 weeks later...

In my familiy, I'm the one attracted to such incredible works of art. My wife doesn't care as long as it isn't a dribble glass... I for one would completely fill my house with such beautiful and ornate craftsmanship. I wish I had been born when such attention to details was the rule and not the incredibly rare exception.

I add these pictures to continue this interesting topic. Here you see an item realized with "balaton" technique. Its gold leaf ( 24 ct because you cannot insert it in this glass if it is not pure gold) is in the glass, not applied externally. It is applied to show a net ( this is what they call "balaton"). Please note the typical triton fish ( with gold leaf inside). Its eyes have been made using a "cane or rod". Cane ( or rod if you prefer) is the basic component for MIllefiori glasswork technique. To realize these masterpieces a Murano master has to work in the furnace for a lot of years. They have to learn a lot of different techniques and have to train without rest to improve their manual ability. Enjoy!