News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals or Jetons?

vladtheman03

I bought these many years ago. the bronzemedal has the usual inscription 'For Zeal' on the reverse, but the obverse text around the edge of the medal seems to be written in church stycle cyrillic? I haven't seen another so perhaps this is unofficial? Any ideas?

My second question is regarding the 'Fighters for Freedom' insignia, also not sure whether this ever had the status of 'medal'. I suspect this was only ever a jetton rather than a medal. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Hello Vladtheman03;

Could you provide some additional photos? Back and maybe a clearer one of the front. Please add some dimensions too. Is that a ribbon it is hanging from? You mentioned "these", do you have more? Could you post them all.

Thanks.

Hey there, thanks for replying.

I've uploaded some good quality pics onto photobucket - see link http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/vladtheman03/

The size of the zeal medal is a little smaller than the usual zeal medals and is dark bronze rather than silver. It's approx 27mm diameter, 2mm thick.

You're right it is a ribbon (St Anna), but don't pay too much attention that that as it's something I added (same goes for both). I say 'these' because there are two, the other one I mentioned was the Fighter for Freedom Medal/Jetton, it's also pictured in the link above. I believe that one is better known same dimensions by brass rather than bronze.

So now you can see them more clearly are these medals or jettons??

Hey there, thanks for replying.

I've uploaded some good quality pics onto photobucket - see link http://s1106.photobu...1/vladtheman03/

The size of the zeal medal is a little smaller than the usual zeal medals and is dark bronze rather than silver. It's approx 27mm diameter, 2mm thick.

You're right it is a ribbon (St Anna), but don't pay too much attention that that as it's something I added (same goes for both). I say 'these' because there are two, the other one I mentioned was the Fighter for Freedom Medal/Jetton, it's also pictured in the link above. I believe that one is better known same dimensions by brass rather than bronze.

So now you can see them more clearly are these medals or jettons??

Hello Vladtheman03;

By the size of them and the materials used I would confiident in say that these are Provisional Government Jettons. There is a thought that they were issued as medals by the Russian Provisional Government as awards but there isn't a lot of evidence to uphold that belief.

At the very least, distributed by a fledgling government to raise the spirits of a besieged populace in a war-tired country.

If I can find it, I should post my Russian currency from this time period. I think it would fit well with this thread.

Nice pieces. Worth $200 - $300 each I would think.

Thanks for this, the dark bronze one was bought with 3 other official awards - two silver zeal medals and the medal of St George 4th class. The seller also mentioned he had a yellow metal cross of St George but he'd sent it away to test for gold. I wish I'd taken his details and followed up on that!

The 'Fighter for Freedom' one came from a guy I knew who bought a few medals and orders in Russia in the late 90s. I paid about $90 for it 12 years ago. The same guy even managed to pick up an Order of St George which he offered to me for about $1000 at the same time. It was too much for me then. Nevermind, I have other gems in my collection! Mainly British and soviet though.

I have a group to a British Interventionist so I may see if there is a threat for interventionists and post a message...if not I may just start one!

Thanks for this, the dark bronze one was bought with 3 other official awards - two silver zeal medals and the medal of St George 4th class. The seller also mentioned he had a yellow metal cross of St George but he'd sent it away to test for gold. I wish I'd taken his details and followed up on that!

The 'Fighter for Freedom' one came from a guy I knew who bought a few medals and orders in Russia in the late 90s. I paid about $90 for it 12 years ago. The same guy even managed to pick up an Order of St George which he offered to me for about $1000 at the same time. It was too much for me then. Nevermind, I have other gems in my collection! Mainly British and soviet though.

I have a group to a British Interventionist so I may see if there is a threat for interventionists and post a message...if not I may just start one!

Hello Vladtheman03:

Yes, all collectors seem to have stories of the "ones that got away".

You have some other gems? Great. I think we would all like to see them when you have a chance. And especially the background and details that you can provide.

A British Interventionist group?!?!...I would like to see and learn about that. I don't know anything about them.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for not picking this up again. I need to find some photos of that group and post the story.

I'll probably create a new thread for that. Strictly speaking it's a standard British group for service between 1915 and 1919, it just happens that the recipient served on one of the first aircraft carriers (HMS Pegasus) in North Russia in 1919. He later went on to serve in Iraq with the RAF in 1920.

It would be nice to get some discussion going on the other medals for the interventionist forces, the Japanese struck a special variation of the war medal to cover operations in the far east against Russia, the Czech Republic has specific bars for the revolution cross and also struck medals commemorating the czech legion in 1948. Then of course there are the the wars of national liberation in Poland (a medal was also struck to commemorate the defeat of the Bolshevik forces in 1918 which was also awarded to some French interventionist forces), and the Baltic States and Finland...

It's a fascinating period of history.