News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

...and one more. this is a very sad story for me :unsure: , I was really trying to bid on this, but did not get it. Even though this surfaced in a tinny auction house in southern Germany too many people knew about it.

Anyway, at least I was smart enough to ask for a good picture:

[attachmentid=24642]

Edited by medalnet

Saxony was interesting (isn't it always??!). The First Class Cross always had the wreath. Swords denoted the war-time award of same. Now, the really fantastic ones are pre-1914 in real gold. Drop-dead gorgeous with the Scharffenberg ones being of the utmost quality. Much nicer (IMO) than the Roessner & Glaser pieces.

Yeah that would be interesting, but that also goes for the other two bars you posted, both with one of the most beautiful orders: the Orange-Nassau Order (Officer?) and the White Falcon Order! Who wear the decorated here? Would you have any idea? I can imagine the officer was awarded the ON because of the marriage of the King with Princess Emma W-P?

Mostly I am not specifically interested in the history of my own country, but this is an exception I guess :cheeky:

David

Yeah that would be interesting, but that also goes for the other two bars you posted, both with one of the most beautiful orders: the Orange-Nassau Order (Officer?) and the White Falcon Order! Who wear the decorated here? Would you have any idea? I can imagine the officer was awarded the ON because of the marriage of the King with Princess Emma W-P?

Mostly I am not specifically interested in the history of my own country, but this is an exception I guess :cheeky:

David

That bar was worn by a fellow named Niemeyer. He was indeed from Waldeck. His biographical data is published in the Waldeck book.

Gentlemen,

I think that one of the most unique designs of Imperial German decorations, which deserves mention here, is the Waldeck golden merit medal/medal for arts & science. Allow me to explain this unusual nomenclature. This medal was used and known as the golden merit medal from 1891 to 1899. It then became, from 1899 to 1918, the medal for arts & science.

The large medal which was awarded from 1903 to 1918, at 57 mm x 45 mm, was worn at the neck is and is truly spectacular. Unfortunately I can only offer a ?little brother? (43.25 mm x 32.1 mm) as an example here.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

Gentlemen,

Thank you for he kind comments. David, according to Nimmergut (citing Effler) this medal was first awarded 64 times as a golden merit medal and then 19 times as an arts and science medal; and, yes arts and science awards generally went to professors and artists.

I will soon start a new thread relating to these under appreciated awards. Thank you again.

Best wishes,

Wild Card