News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de guerre citation document

RobW

I recently picked up a small collection of French medals and documents.

Among the documents were a citation for the Croix de guerre to a gentleman from what appears to be the 136th Infantry Regiment. The document appears to be a standard form type with areas for specific detail to be included where necessary, including the recipients name and details of the circumstances of the award.

While my French is poor I can make out that the text refers to just this award, however a bit further toward the bottom of the award it indicates in parenthesis (3 citations). I am trying to determine if it is likely that the recipient was eventually awarded three citations or just the one indicated on this citation.

Any help from those more knowledgeable than I will be appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Chris,

I have some more of his documents including his Medal Militaire and diplome, and some form of service book (voir le tascicule de mobilisation en tete livret). The service book is in poor condition which is making further research difficult. There is also some other documents in French which appear to War Ministry announcements or orders.

The Medal Militaire is in the original red mottled box and the diplome is still contained in the original presentation tube.

There is also the authority to wear just the victory medal ribbon, dated 12 February 1920. It indicates the gentleman in question was in the Armee of North Africa, Oran Division, and belonging to the 6th Regiment De Tiralleurs Indigines.

When I have time I shall get around to scanning the others and post the pics.

Regards,

Rob

Chris,

Just to clarify the Medal Militaire it was presented in 1935. I have the official correspondence from the Bureau De Recruitment indicating the date of the decree (19 Dec 1934) and the official date the award was conferred (16 Jan 1935).

Again when I have time I shall post the pics.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Regimental order n° 136 of October 14, 1918

Mention in despatches on regimental level, to Lecourtois, Robert sergeant quartermaster of the 7th Regiment de Marche de Tirailleurs.

Has, during the operations of september 1918, coldbloodedly and with intelligence fulfilled several liaison missions.

Has shown pure devotion and great courage under difficult circumstances.

This is his 3rd MiD and would have earned him a bronze star on his Croix de guerre.

Best regards,

Jan

What would be nice is to know what is written right after: Sergent fourrier Lecourtois a droit

This translates into "has the right to" which might tell you exactly what the 2 other citations might be so you can have the proper ribbon devices on the CdG.

What would be nice is to know what is written right after: Sergent fourrier Lecourtois a droit

This translates into "has the right to" which might tell you exactly what the 2 other citations might be so you can have the proper ribbon devices on the CdG.

When I have time I will scrutinise the text and transcribe it for posting. My French is poor so I am hopeful the meaning can be gleaned from the transcription.

It would appear, at this stage that the gentlemen is at least entitled to:

* Medal Militaire.

* Croix de Guerre (with three citations).

* Combattant Cross.

* Victory medal.

* War Commemorative Cross.

I am searching through the other paperwork to determine if the recipient has any wounds recorded.

Regards,

Rob

Since the purple text is pre-printed, my guess would be that this just reads has the right to wear the Croix de Guerre (with 3 citation stars) Best regards, Jan

Aaaaah yes... Makes sense. hadn't thought of that. :whistle:

To all,

Here is the best effort I have been able to achieve with a re-scan of the close-up of the previous document. I have not been able to transcribe it, because I can't read french and the writing is very faint. I have tweaked the contrast so that it hopefully is of more use to others to read.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

Here is another of the award documents to this gentleman. In this case it is the authority to wear the ribbon for the victory medal.

Of note is that this document, which is dated 12 February 1920, only provides the authority for the wearer to wear the ribbon and not the medal as it had not yet been approved. The reference to the decree establishing the medal, including the colour of the ribbon is contained at the top of the document (29 October 1919) which was followed by another Ministerial Instruction of 4 November 1919.

There is no mention of the subsequent law instituting the actual medal which occurred on 22 July 1922 nor of the implementing Ministerial Instruction of 7 October 1922. This would be pertinent given the award date of February 1920.

I have a couple of these 'ribbon authorities' and they are a bit more difficult to find than the latter French victory medal certificate.

More items to follow when I have time to scan them.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Ralstona,

These 'ribbon authority' certificates are not that easy to find and while they seem to follow a similar format there is also great variety as well.

In regards your certificate where is/was Saida?

You may want to post your item in the French victory medal section of the 'Interallied Victory Medal' forum in the Special Interest Section. There are always new items appearing that are worthy of posting pics.

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

Saida is in extreme NW Algeria, right on the Morocco border. I think these documents cause a bit of confusion. Even though they call the medal the "Medaille de la Victoire" I don't think it is for the inter-allied victory medal but the "Grande Guerre" commemorative medal. The give away is the mention of "rouge" (red) and "blanc" (white) stripes (filet). I could be wrong. Would love to know for sure.

Art

Raistona

The ribbon described is for the Victory medal. The way it is worded may have been confusing. It does say "rainbow colours" starting from the red on each side and separated in the middle by a white stripe. That was indeed the original ribbon which was authorised for wear before the actuel "gong" was designed.

Hope this helps

As mentioned before here are the next batch of pics.

This first set are of what I have assumed is the soldiers issue and/or service book. There are a few sections in this where it looks like all the uniforms and equipment issued to the member have been recorded.

The second section appears to be more of a service record where all the personal details are listed, as well as vaccinations, while the last section appears to be the conduct record with any charges etc…

Not being able to read French at all makes for a fascinating document. While I am primarily a victory medal collector I couldn't allow this grouping to be broken and obtained the lot. There is always something interesting to find out in these documents.

It would be good for those with the knowledge to let me know how accurate I have been with my initial thoughts.

More pictures to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Interestingly here is what appears to be the subsequent mobilisation card for the soldier in the next war. Given his date of birth in 1891 that would have made him 48 in 1939. Still young enough to be called up to fight in another war.

I don't have any other documents for any subsequent service post 1939.