News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello to all,

Here is a seven-place medal bar to a WW1 Prussian NCO that also had at least three months of service in Silesia, sometime between 1919 and 1921. Although there is nothing particularly scarce on this one, I think it's a pretty looking bar, well-constructed, and super clean. Hope you like it! The Silesian Eagle is a nice-quality, multi-part, four rivet type.

Wasn't real sure where to post this bar: Decided I would post it here since the guy was an Imperial Prussian NCO. But, then again, it does have a Silesian Eagle on the bar so maybe it should of been posted in the Freikorps section. :unsure: But, on the other hand, the bar was assembled in the mid-1930s so maybe it should have been posted in the Third Reich section. :unsure:

Best regards,

Tom

Nice bar... especially the ribbons' folding (bows on the reverse). The only Imperial era decorations on this bar are the Iron Cross 2nd class and the LS cross, which could still have been bestowed by the Prussian state until after the war in some occasions. The Austrian-Hungarian-Bulgarian trio of WWI commemorative medals have been applied in the 30ies, after all the veterans' unofficial decorations have been prohibited to be worn on such bars.

This very bar could have been put together between 1935-1938 as you rightly said, but it is nice to see posted here in this forum.

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Nice bar... especially the ribbons' folding (bows on the reverse). The only Imperial era decorations on this bar are the Iron Cross 2nd class and the LS cross, which could still have been bestowed by the Prussian state until after the war in some occasions. The Austrian-Hungarian-Bulgarian trio of WWI commemorative medals have been applied in the 30ies, after all the veterans' unofficial decorations have been prohibited to be worn on such bars.

This very bar could have been put together between 1935-1938 as you rightly said, but it is nice to see posted here in this forum.

Claudio

Hello Claudio,

Thank you for your comments. Yes, this bar was definitely assembled in the 1930s since the WW1 Commemorative for Hungary was instituted in 1929; the Commemorative for Austria in 1932 (with the swords authorized the following year); the Commemorative for Bulgaria in 1933; and the Cross of Honor in 1934. So it had to be assembled in late 1934 (at the earliest) and probably before the Austrian Anschluß in 1938. After the Anschluß, the status of the Commemorative Medal for Austria was elevated, taking precedence of both the Prussian Long Service Decoration and the Silesian Eagle.

Best regards,

Tom

As I recall the Austrian medal continued to be awarded some time after the Anschluss...but I can't remember when it was moved next to the HKx. If my fading memory also serves me right the Luftwaffe newspaper article I read last year indicated that the new Wehrmacht LS medals were to be exchanged for the imperial 15 year medal for recalled soldiers...so maybe either this dates from 1935 on or it was worn by an SA/NSKK/DRK or NSKOV chap. Hmmmmmmm...off to look in the picture archives.

Nice. I really like that eagle right in the center of the bar.

Thank you for your comments, Claudius!

I agree: That Silesian Eagle, smack-dab in the middle, gives the bar great artistic balance. :love:

Best regards,

Tom

As I recall the Austrian medal continued to be awarded some time after the Anschluss...but I can't remember when it was moved next to the HKx. If my fading memory also serves me right the Luftwaffe newspaper article I read last year indicated that the new Wehrmacht LS medals were to be exchanged for the imperial 15 year medal for recalled soldiers...so maybe either this dates from 1935 on or it was worn by an SA/NSKK/DRK or NSKOV chap. Hmmmmmmm...off to look in the picture archives.

Hello Ulsterman,

Thanks for responding. I think even in the 1939 regulations, the Commemorative Medal for Austria is not specifically mentioned so was probably still lumped in that "foreign awards by date of bestowal" category, placed at the very end of a medal bar. If I am correct, it is first specifically mentioned in the 1940 regulations for the Armed Forces & Police. In these regulations, the Commemorative Medal for Austria is placed after the 1914-18 Cross of Honor and before LS Decorations.

Best regards,

Tom