News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. George Cross Question

Rommel1933

Hello ya'all!

New member to this forum but not to collecting.. :) I am pleased to be here!

I have a question on what I think is a St George Cross. This was with some Czech Medals I purchased. They "supposedly" came from the same soldier named "Joseph Stransk." The Czech Medals all checked out to be WWII Allie types.. This Cross has my kind of stymied. I looked at the crosses in this forum and all seem to have serial #'s on them. On the back mine does say, "Class" in Czech but doesn't have anything stamped.. In fact I am so lost I can't even tell what color this is supposed to be? Any help or feedback would be most grateful!

Thank you,

Scott

DSC02948.jpg

DSC02947.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02951.jpg

Edited by Rommel1933

Hi,

Nice to see you here and I am sure you will have better chance in here to find out about that Cross!

I still think its the post 1917 issue, awarded to Czech Legion member in Russia or some "white russian" emigrate let it made in Europe later on.

I am thinking it because:

- surelly it is not 4th or 3rd class because material - don't look like silver and not "war metal". Also not "gold".

- missing serial number and class, however word "class" is stamped on the lower arm - it can't be early St.George Cross what was made without the class - still, its missing serial number and these should be clean lower arms

- some details are "weird" on the centre, etc but I am not an expert to discuss these. I have handled only 4-5 crosses in my life, so thats why I am thinking you will find out much more here from the guys who have done it years

- why I am thinking Europe - main indicator to me is the ring between the cross and ribbon plate. Also if this cross really is part of the set, it's make more sence

Regards,

Timo

Hi Timo,

It is also a pleasure to see you as well!! You gave me a lot of keen insight on this medal. The thing is that I have never see another even close to this. I would think it's perhaps a reproduction of some sort but there are signs it is real too.

You are correct about this forum... I did a search on St. George Cross and there are a lot of folks on here into that award!!!!

I am also into other medals and such than the TR so this is going to be a great forum to be a part of!

I do believe everything you said it true. I just want to know if anyone else has seen this? I doubt I have a one of a kind St. George Cross. Does it make it worthless, etc?

Thank you,

Scott

I wouldn't call it worthless... It might have a grand history behind it, who knows. You'll need to talk to many more people about it, might take you years to get a tangible answer. But you'll probably find looking for that answer great fun!

• 5 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Hello to all! In my oppinion, at least the story regarding the General is hilarious. If the General died in 1984, how old he could be? Let's give credit and let's say he was 84 years old. So he was born in 1900. The St. George was awarded until 1917, when Imperial Russia trasformed into USSR. So a 17 years old boy was awarded with St' George 2nd class, that means he already received the 4th and the 3rd class as well. Wow, that makes him the greatest hero ever! Kind a Superman. Cheers!