News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Mike Constandy,

I am not terribly learned on the subject, but since no one else has said anything... It appears to me that the fourth ribbon from the left is to the Bavarian St. Michael Order. Considering other decorations on the bar, is this in the right place?

Still learning,

Wild Card

The order is indeed a bit off. But that's not necessarily a problem.

I don't see much, but I do like what I see. If it's for sale somewhere and you don't go for it, would you please drop me a PM?

I can't find a wearer, but that's one that should be unique.

Thanks very much for your replies. It is precisely the St. Michael ribbon that interests me. I have asked for better images but they haven't yet arrived. It is being sold separately from this other bar, which I am assuming is to the same man.

And this presents the problem, and lack of my knowledge. If the shorter bar is the earlier bar and does not have the St. Michael, yet still has the Hindenburg decoration, would the recipient have received the St. Michael after 1934? Am I off the mark here?

Saschaw, if I don't buy, I'll certainly let you know. I've missed some nice things in your last two updates. Great site and good luck with it. Mike

I think it is more likely that they were made at the same time, or that the shorter one came later.

It looks like the St. Michael is an error. Someone mistakenly or incorrectly used that ribbon instead of the Oldenburg one. A (mainly) civilian St. Michael makes little sense between what appears to be the Hesse Tapferkeistmedaille and the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz, while an Oldenburg Friedrich-August Kreuz makes more sense.

The shorter ribbon bar then appears to leave off the peacetime commemorative medals (Prussian Centenary and Baden Jubilee) and keep only the decorations (the Prussian long service cross was considered a decoration).

I assume the last ribbon is the Rettungsmedaille am Bande.

I can't speak to whether it is fake, as you'd need better pictures of the threads and needle and need to check the ribbons. The St. Michael error could have been made by a tailor in 1935 or a faker in 1995, for all I know.

Edited by Dave Danner

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the detailed opinions. As I was primarily interested in the St. Michael, I think I will pass, but if/when the requested images arrive I will post them here for future reference.

Again, many thanks.