News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NZ Medal Theft - Keith Davies pleads quilty

Here is the latest on this sad story.

Medal collectors could be put off trading with New Zealanders because of the actions of former National Army Museum registrar Keith Davies, according to a dealer who bought his stolen medals. Details of charges against Davies have revealed the haul of antiquities he stole from the Waiouru museum between 1995 and 2002 is much more than just 744 war medals valued at $233,155. A World War II German soldier's pack and a helmet plate, a military statuette and 100 military histories valued at $25,700 are among the items taken. Davies, 57, pleaded guilty yesterday to seven charges of false pretences, theft, obtaining property by deception and theft as a servant. A rare charge of unlawfully exporting New Zealand antiquities was withdrawn.

Read the complete article: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/medals-theft-tough-collectors-4453980

Don't forget to view the very interesting video.

Jean-Paul

Repost in order to be able to read better:

Medal collectors could be put off trading with New Zealanders because of the actions of former National Army Museum registrar Keith Davies, according to a dealer who bought his stolen medals. Details of charges against Davies have revealed the haul of antiquities he stole from the Waiouru museum between 1995 and 2002 is much more than just 744 war medals valued at $233,155. A World War II German soldier's pack and a helmet plate, a military statuette and 100 military histories valued at $25,700 are among the items taken. Davies, 57, pleaded guilty yesterday to seven charges of false pretences, theft, obtaining property by deception and theft as a servant. A rare charge of unlawfully exporting New Zealand antiquities was withdrawn.

Read the complete article: http://tvnz.co.nz/na...lectors-4453980

Don't forget to view the very interesting video.

Jean-Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the latest on this sad story:

Keith Davies has been jailed for three years over the theft of medals worth more than $230,000 and ordered to pay reparations of $50,000. Davies stole 744 war medals from the Waiouru Military Museum between 1995 and 2002. A very rare charge of unlawfully exporting New Zealand antiquities was withdrawn.

Read the complete article: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/medal-thief-jailed-three-years-4548704

Jean-Paul

There was also a highly publicised theft of several Victoria Crosses from the same museum a few years ago. One has to wonder how national treasures could be stored with such poor security. Fortunately many of the medals were recovered. One only hopes that security has been improved. I have been to the museum a few times and it's certainly worth a visit however I think I shan't be loaning any of my collection to it given its recent track record.

Personally I think the curators and higher-up should have been held to account as well (at least to some extent) Afterall, if a lowly soldier misplaces an item of kit, they get charged.... apparently the same rules don't apply to the field officers who are in charge of the museum nor the beauracrats who control the budgets.