News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For Identification ?

Mervyn Mitton

I have another sword I had intended to post today - however, a customer has just emailed me pictures of this sword and is asking for identification .

I have not yet checked any books - so, I will tell you what I think and perhaps we can work out it's history ?

Firstly, I think it may be a Naval sword - the hilt has the usual lion's head - the blade has a curve - and there appears

to be a fouled anchor etched on the blade.

The lion's head has been quite roughly worked and the engraving is not good. I am wondering if it is of Indian workmanship and perhaps for the Honourable East India Company - who ruled British India until the 1850's - and had their own navy. I

would think from it's appearance that it would date to the early part of the 19th. Century.=

These are. just my thoughts - hopefully someone will be able to make a better call ?

The "Fouled Anchor" looks more like a flag with what looks like a quiver of arrows crossing it to me. Maybe the design on the flag could give a clue to the maker or owner!! (If it's clear enough)

Edited by Rayjin

The brass work on the hilt, especially with the very visible tang end, certainly looks like Indian standard workmanship but I also agree that the device is a colour crossed with something else. The work looks Indian too - a copy of something perhaps only partly undertood by the craftsman.

I know that John Company had a navy - the Honourable East India Company's Marine, later His Majesty's Indian Navy, so it would make sense that they would have naval swords and it was in existance for 200+ years, so your theory makes a lot of sense! Perhaps some one of our esteemed members can make an authoritative pronouncement on the subject.

Edited by peter monahan